1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amber light on pole

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Steve G., Jan 31, 2009.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Hey guys, we're planning on putting a revolving amber light on our ATV and I was thinking of putting it on a pole so it's more visible and doesn't shine in my eyes. What is the best way to put it on a pole? I was thinking of just welding some angle iron together and making an upside down T. I want it to be removable... so it has to attach by clamps or something of the sort. Is there anything that is already on the market for this?
    I was thinking of putting the pole on a hitch mount but we are planning on putting a salt spreader on the hitch. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,

Steve

also, where is the best place to get an amber light w/ magnetic base and 12v plug it? I looked at JC whitney it costs $120!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Three quarter inch gas pipe secured with flanges top and bottom located behind drivers side corner bed .painted flat black.

Run your wire thru the pipe , down the bed thru rear of cab to switch.

$20.00 + wire , switch and hardware

for an ATV ....just what you said .

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Most atv's have a place on the rear rack for a flag pole. I'm sure you could fab something up easy enough to mount there.

4. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

Ya thats wht i was thinkin. i want to make one to so maybe ill go weld one up and post a couple of pics

5. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

6. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Heres what i did hope u guys like it. Welds are not real great it was all galvanized steel

Supplies:
    -3' Peace of 3/4" Pipe
    - 4"x4" Plate
    - 5/8" Nut
    - 5/8" Bolt 1' 1/2" long
    - 5/8" Flat washer
    - Old 5/8" Plug Wrench
    - 16 Gauge Wire
    - Rocker Switch
    - Rubber Grommet
    - Amber Light
    [​IMG]

First: I welded the nut inside of the plug wrench.
    Second: I welded the washer onto the end of the plug wrench.
    Third: I welded the plug wrench to the 3' peace of 3/4" pipe.

[​IMG]

Fourth: I drilled a hole in the 4"x4" plate for the 16 gauge wire.

[​IMG]

Fifth: I welded the 4"x4" plate on to the other end of the 3' peace of 3/4" pipe.

[​IMG]

7. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Sixth: I ran the 16 gauge wire through the 3/4" pipe and inserted the rubber grommet.

[​IMG]

Seventh: I installed the amber light on the 4"x4" plate.

[​IMG]

Final Product: Now it just needs some paint and needs to be mount to quad.

[​IMG]

There it is hope it is. Hope this helps and good luck!:D

8. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Cool.... but how are you going to attach it to the quad?

9. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Lol opps for got to up load tht pic

You would mount it in the were a flag would go. Im sure there is one on the rack on your Polaris. The nut is welded inside of the plug wrench so all you would have to do is stick the bolt through the hole and it would thread into the nut!

Like this:D
    [​IMG]

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

cool thatll work,

11. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i have a whelen strobe on my atv i used a 2x4 with plywood base on top for the light woorks for now but i will have the real pole for it soon that screws into the bottom of the light

12. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

I didn't see anything like that on my ATV... I though those only came on the little ATV's for the flag.

13. 06Sierra

from Maine

Polaris must have been too cheap to put one on! Just kiddin!! My Rincon has one. I thought they were on all atv's???

14. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

I'll have to look for it when I get a chance... where is it on yours?

15. 06Sierra

from Maine

It's on the back rack, I don't remember what side.

16. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Ya lol mine is on the rear rack to!:cool: If you dont have one on your polaris take a picture of your rear rack and im sure i could figure something out!:D

17. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

I already figured out a way to mount it, i'm going to use 1n1/2" angle iron on the side rack and the back part of the rack and weld them together so they sit on the raised part of the rack and put a 1x2" box steel as the pole and weld a piece on top of that. It will be easly removable so that I don't have to have it on all the time!

18. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

That is what i was going to suggest since i can see in avatar the raised part of the rack. Quick and easy removal unplug it and pull a pin. That simple.

19. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Exactly, I don't want it to be permanent so I want to get one that plugs in the 12v outlet. Anybody know a good place to buy a light?

20. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Mine was an old light and apparently the strobe was burnt out. Found it in a box at my dads shop. So im am going to go Murrys or Auto zone and get one. They got up for cheep. I mean they mine not be the best but come on there going on an atv. there only like 20-30$ and i think they have the choice of either a strobe or a revolving light!