1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amber light mount

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by misanthrope, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Anyone have caution lights? if so how and where did you mount them. i had a Whalen 2 bulb halogen mag mount rigged on my roof, i don't feel like loosing an eye when the steel plate fall's off when i hit a curb. Anyone have any pics?

thx

2. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Don't hit the curb. Use markers to protect damage to and from obstructions. The light coming off truck would take quite a hit and the light would probably be the least of your damage.

3. smitty3903

smitty3903 Junior Member

How do you have a mag mount on a fiberglass top. Did you drill holes in the roof to mount the metal plate?

4. ...i guess i should have elaborated a little more. Mag mount on fiberglass roof, the magnets are damn strong, but just not enough to hold the steel plate on the inside of the roof. This was a temp solution. I don't want to drill any holes. It would shimmy loose durring turns as well as normal plowing conditions. I'm looking to get a different set of lights and was wondering what other jeepers were using.

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder how the suction cup mounts would work on a glass roof.

6. The roof is textured unfortunately....

7. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

You could go with a conduit mount light, like the ones used on the back of police motorcycles. Use a length of conduit tall enough to clear the roof from the back bumper then install a base fitting on the bumper. This would still involve doing some drilling on the bumper...guess I was unclear if you were against doing any drilling or just against drilling the roof.

8. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Something like this:

http://www.phantomlights.com/beastbeam360.phtml

9. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Hope this helps

Here is my solution to the same problem, I refuse to put holes in the hardtop!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I used a 1" hold down ratchet strap strap attached the bottom of the light and put some thin closed cell foam on the bottom of the light. Photo's manana.

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

This is how I did it back in the day

jeep pole.jpg

12. fernalddude

ok so the brown jeep 20 years later

jeep 1.jpg

13. fernalddude

Add this with rebuild

jeep2.jpg

14. fernalddude

Plus add paint and trim.....

jeep3 (Small).jpg

15. fernalddude

Plus some extras and some time.....

jeep 4.jpg

16. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

cool upgrades!

so if you don't mind telling me how big and what kind of lift?
    how big are the tires?
    how much did this help in plowing or off roading?
    thinking about a lift as well.
    thanks
    Ironhart :jester:

17. theplowmeister

from MA

Now for the important Question... What gears are you running? transfer case gearing? and trany auto ?

18. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

my Idea

I am going to use some construction adhesive to glue a sheet of steel to the roof.
    The light holds to the steel with the magnet and run the power cord in the door.

I also made a circle of wood the same size as the base and glued it to the steel. to give the light a little extra support and keep it from sliding off the steel.

hope that makes sense

Ironhart

19. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

We had hideaways in a 99 wrangler, looked cool and worked good.

20. theplowmeister

from MA

Hi I tried the glue the meatle on the roof I used galvinised so i wont get rust stanes. I found on bumps the roof flexed so much the light would vibrate off the meetle with I tried gluing a piece of metal on the roof, I used galvanized steel so it wouldn't rust. The problem I found was that on bumps the roof flexed so much that the Twinkie would bounce off of the metal, then it would slam into the door hanging by its electric wire and put a dent in the door.

You wooden caller may prevent that from happening.

I now use a 1 inch wide ratchet strap which is bolted to the bottom of the Twinkie and riveted to the two brackets I made to clip onto the roof see photos.

Twinkie.JPG

Twinkie R Bracket Strap.jpg

Twinkie R Bracket.jpg

Twinkie with Straps.jpg