1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amber and White LED's in IL??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthernILPlwr, Dec 18, 2006.

1. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

Ok im sure this has already been asked and answered, but here I go again..... I bid on a LED strip on ebay that is amber on one side and white on the other. These LED's are meant to be used inside the vehicle. My question is in IL are you allowed to use white and amber.

Just wondering.

BTW Love this site.

Any IL Plowers sound off where your from

I live in Schaumburg and work in Wauconda.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

i dont see why they wouldnt be allowed for a plow vehicle, i belive that as long as you stay away from red and blue u should be fine

im also from il, im located just west of woodstock
  3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i'm on the southside Palos Heights. as for lights you'll be fine. i run a amber mini lightbar+4corner strobes.
  4. zman9119

zman9119 Member

Here is a link to the State of Illinois House Bill referring to lighting of vehicles.HB5336

To paraphrase for you:

(b) The use of amber oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except on:

6. The front and rear of motorized equipment owned and operated by the State of Illinois or any political subdivision thereof, which is designed and used for removal of snow and ice from highways;

(6.1) The front and rear of motorized equipment or vehicles that (i) are not owned by the State of Illinois or any political subdivision of the State, (ii) are designed and used for removal of snow and ice from highways and parking lots, and (iii) are equipped with a snow plow that is 12 feet in width; these lights may not be lighted except when the motorized equipment or vehicle is actually being used for those purposes on behalf of a unit of government;

(d) The use of a combination of amber and white oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except motor vehicles or equipment of the State of Illinois, local authorities, contractors, and union representatives may be so equipped; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted on vehicles of the State of Illinois, local authorities, and contractors except while such vehicles are engaged in highway maintenance or construction operations within the limits of highway construction projects, and shall not be lighted on the vehicles of union representatives except when those vehicles are within the limits of a construction project.
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

im using amber only. I also am from schaumburg
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If the cop wanted to be a arse, he could right you a ticket. I was told amber only.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Almost every town you drive through on Rt. 59 into Wauconda has a-hole cops.

Stick with yellow/amber only just to be safe.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a amber lightbar, then hideaway clear strobes in the turn signals and rear tailights. HIdeaways you could get away with if your using them as supplemental lighting. If you use them for primary, you will need amber. As for white lights in a lightbar....dont do that!;) BTW, Freeport, IL

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Ok guys what do you think about this
    I got pulled over the other day for runner my amber strobes that are in the rear of my truck taillights. The cop said to me you can't run those while you are going down the road at anytime of the day. I did not have my front strobes on or my amber rotating light. Just my rear amber lights. This was at 3 a.m. He also said to me that if it was at more of a time where there was more people on the road they would think I was an emergency vehical. Wait a minute here, how would they see them if i was coming at them? Granted I am a firefighter and I told him that all I would have to do to get people to get out of my way would be turn my red light on. He was like shut them off until you get to your next job. I didn't get a ticket for it, I just think that he was bored and wanted something to do, thought about bugging a snowplowing driver. Any of you guys ever heard of this happening to you or someone you know?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I run into LEO's all the time at gas stations and such during storms. I talk to them as much as possible, whether BS or actual conversation. I've known or met most of the night shift from my time spent towing, so we're all at least acquaintances. On a few occasions I've asked their opinion, the general consensus is that as long as you are not trying to pull people over and simply going about your business, they aren't at all concerned with you. That is to say that at least you are not using blue or red lights.
  11. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Don't know about IL but in MN...

Not that this helps you a lot but in MN the law states that flashing blue lights are reserved for volunteer firefighters and government vehicles including private vehicles contracted to local municapalies (i.e. personal plows contracted to do county or city roads). Red are for emergency vehicles only with one exception. And on personal plow vehicles (or any vehicle operating under hazardous conditions, but off highway...i.e. not just simply driving in traffic) you may use amber and/or clear flashing lights to the front of the vehicle and amber and/or (here's the exception to the rule) red to the rear. The idea is that you are drawing attention to yourself while "matching" your vehicle's required lighting. In addition MN law states that you are to have 3 amber lights mounted to your vehicle's dome no more than 12" apart and 3 red lights on the rear with the same spacing to indicate a vehicle that is more than 80" wide at any point.

Coming from a person who works in the court system, the best advice for every one on here...go on ebay and find yourself a state statutes book for your state. Due to a large number of colleges with Criminal Justice programs and the requirement to have one of these handbooks you can find them for no more than $10-$15. Much cheaper than a ticket and you can self educate yourself on your local law. Look for ones that are a couple years old, it will save you money and generally traffic laws don't change much.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  12. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Sorry, in addition a tow truck may also use a red beacon but it may only be displayed when the tow truck or towing vehicle is engaged in emergency service on or near the traveled portion of a highway, the flashing amber light may then be displayed when the tow truck is moving a disabled vehicle.

For those of you in MN this is all found in MN Statutes 169.64 subsections 4 (a)(b), 5, 6 (a)(b)(c).
  13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I'm in addison and run from Mt prospect down to Elk grove west to Bloomingdale and north to Hoffman and then Rolling meadows and have been running amber and clear beacons and flashers and amber strobes and have had no problems.Just use your head and turn them off when you don't need them and they will leave you alone.(except for woodridge,richmond,roselle,skokie,deer path,and some other cops as they are arseholes feel free to add others):realmad:
  14. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

Good advice but Illinois has all the compiled statutes online. I have read the law. I know what it says. There is also a law that says it is illegal to exceed the posted speed limit. Most people do 5 mph over in front of any cop. I was just wondering what the "real world" scenarios were. I went to school for criminal justice. Ive taken law classes. I have a feeling a cop would rather just ignore the 100 4x4's he sees with amber lights when its snowing and just concentrate on driving his RWD 8 cyl car in the snow.

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

15. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

If you KNOW the law, what was the point of the question you asked? Perhaps you should have asked if there are any cops on the site that would pull you over if you used lights.
  16. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

Not to be a dick but if you re-read my last post i said does anyone have any "real world" experience of this. If i wanted the answer from a cop id ask the many officers that i know personally including close family members. (trust me i have) I was just wondering if anyone had white and amber lights and if so had run into any problems.

BTW the cops ive talked to said 99% of the time they wouldnt even look twice unless the guy was driving like a complete idiot :salute:
  17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Your probably right....they have better things to do when it's snowing like a biotch!:rolleyes:
  18. gatorman777

gatorman777 Banned
    from chicago

I'm from the Orland Park area. We've been pulled over more than once. They all told us to turn off the lights when driving on the street. They also said we can use them while plowing since 99% of the plowing sites are private property. :dizzy:
  19. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

yea orland cops have nothing better to do than ***** about stale coffee and donuts and scratch thier asses.....
  20. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

No problem...not to be a dick in return but your last post was a response to my post. I was referencing your original question that started the thread: Whether or not amber and clear lights could be used in your vehicle, not what are the real world experiences with these lights. All I was pointing out in my last post was that your question sounded like you wanted the law. When I offered help in where you could find the law you got huffy and stated that you didn't want the law, you wanted real world experiences.