1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amazing how people can plow for this price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Got a call to bid and look at a Court Yard Marriot Hotel.
    Me and my buddy go check it out, We figure about 5-6 K per month including walk ways, Salt time etc...
    Meet with the property management dude and he shows us last years bid..

Are you ready??

$900.00, Yes NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS a month... It will be close to that in material and gas...

He says he has been getting bids form local guys , ( Like myself)
    from anywhere form 4 K to 9 k.
    The last guy who did it lived over an hour away...

WTF.. I see this is the time of the future in snow plowing....
    He must have lost his shirt last year.. There no way he could have made a penny
    Also he informed us that the hotel is sold out 5 nights a week.. There is gonna be alot of return trips for clean up..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

buy a bunch of arctics and hire some awesome sales guys and see the money come in,

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

They did not return this year. You are correct. They lost money on this account.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you located ?

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Last year during our first storm of the year (late November) I got a call from SMS Assist out of Chicago and they said they were looking for someone to plow a Staples for $600/mo. 2 acres! At the time of the call we already had 8-10" on the ground. I wish I had that conversation on tape...

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly why the guy isn't coming back this year. The guy at th Marriot should count his great fortune from last year and realize he got the deal of the century.I have encountered similiar lowballers and can't believe somebody plows for such prices.
    I got a call recently to bid on a 1200 car complex. The guy who did it last year basically walked from the job when we got the February blizzard. I've got a feeling he was a lowballer as well. I'll find out soon.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell him for the money he saved last year he can afford to pay more.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Now I can see where your located, pricing is a regional thing, up here your number from last year was probably pretty accurate. The numbers I have been told from your area (at least NH) are much higher.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I run into the same thing with driveways (the numbers are smaller but same idea)

I have speech that works every time.

When I hear the price they paid last year I ask

"why are you looking for a new plower this year"

potential customer "they never showed up" or "they tor up the lawn" or "they did a crappy job"

I paws for a moment as if I am crunching numbers and say "OK I'll do it for that price"

they say "great your hired"

I paws again and say "of coerce for that price I wont show up either"

It has never failed to get me the contract.

10. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

+1 That's awesome, I might have to start using that one