1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amazing - called for SALTING

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Now, I'm one of those who are always saying we'll never be able to sell salting because "everybody in this are has always used sand/salt and that's the way it is". Well, got home tonight and had a message on the machine from a commercial customer for whom I'd been spreading sand/salt. He wanted to know if I could bring some straight salt (1/2 yard if I had it) or at least with very little sand in it. He's got an area he wants to melt the ice but doesn't want the sand on it. Just so happened that last week I bought two yards of salt from my supplier to mix with Magic next summer. Told him what it would cost and I could be up there with straight salt early tomorrow morning :) .

It should get easier to sell after the first one. He (and several others) also wants Magic Salt to replace sand/salt when I start selling it in bulk.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

And so it begins....

Remember the old adage....

The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a single step !!

Once people in your area realize that a straight salt application or a Magic Salt application does a much better job de-icing lots and walk ways than a sand / salt mix, they will be calling regularly.

Of course, there are always those die-hards who will never change, so dont beat your head against the wall trying to sell them.

Good Luck Mick

3. Mick

from Maine

I'm already planning a salt shed with three compartments: sand/salt mix, straight salt and Magic Salt.

One of the projects for this Summer.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick how you gonna load all that i didn't realize that you had a machine?.Take some pictures of it when you get it built .The easiest thing you could build would be with the cement blocks then put a coverit structure on top of it with a slidding front door.

5. Mick

from Maine

That's what I had in mind. I've been paying attn lately to the discussions about concrete blocks and Mafia blocks - not sure if there is really a difference. But that was what I was thinking - use concrete blocks for the walls and compartments and sloped 2"x6" framework for a roof with metal roofing. If I don't put in a concrete floor, I won't have to pay taxes on it.

I don't have a loader. The supplier sold me the salt and is storing it for me right now. So far, he's been loading the spreader and said I could use his loader. He's also on the lookout for a loader for me. I've got one spotted I told the owner I'd buy if he wants to sell. The other thing I'm thinking about is using a elevator - like a grain elevator - with a gas motor. I think Alan had a setup like that, I just haven't gotten around to searching for that thread from last year. With the setup I'm thinking about, I'd run the conveyor in front of all three compartments and up in the spreader. Then I could shove from whichever compartment I wanted without having to move the conveyor. Another idea would be to have both ends of the shed open so I could drive into one end with the plow. Then plow the contents of the compartment into the conveyor on the other end which then goes up into the spreader. Save the cost of the loader.

Or have the floor slope to the elevator.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If you go to Chucks web page he has Alans pics and info on the grain elevator,but as Alan said it works good but it's slow.If your loading that whole v box it will take awhile.Your best bet would be to get a small used bobcat to load.I got the backhoe to load my small sander but end up shoveling it most of the time.