1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amazed that even in this season contactors can be so useless!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by buckwheat_la, Feb 15, 2012.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Had are first real snowfall here yesterday, about 4-6inches and it came as a complete surprise. The forecast had been saying 1 inch maybe, woke up at 3 am and BAM!!!, lots of snow. So by the afternoon, all my crews are wrapping things up and I get a phone call from a seniors center, apparently the guy they have hired (and been paying a monthly retainer to) has not showed up yet. Now I know this guy, and in my humble opinion, he is completely useless, so no love lost. I go over there, quote them a fair price, and signed them on for full service, they are done within a hour. THEN I get a phone call from a seniors organization we do work through to help subsidized seniors. They also have had a contractor pull a "no show" apparently he is a one man show and was away, and never made arrangements for his contracts to be done. They want me to look at all 24 of his clients. WTF is wrong with these contractors, it has been such a easy year, especially with all our residentials being seasonal, I looked forward to doing some work for my money, but these jerks run/bail at the first sign of actual work. On a side note the first contractor also does bus stops for the city, last year I took better then half his work because he wasn't getting them done in a timely manner. Yesterday I noticed none of his stops were done either, yet we have all ours done (are area is twice the size his is) so I may be taking those over from him too if I make a phone call into the city. HMMMM who things I should?
  2. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Go for it, but watch your back.

If this guy isn't wrapped too tight he may pose a problem to you or your equipment.

Isn't this how we get all our work, through other peoples incompetence or retirement ?
  3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If you have the capacity to do it and will get paid handsomely why not? I would not take them on just as busy work but if there is money to be made why not?
  4. buckwheat_la

This guy and myself have already had words. The first time I met him (about 12 years ago) I was just a one man crew, doing dethatching, he came up and introduced himself and we chatted for a minute. Then he stopped mid sentence and asked me "is this all you do for a living?" I said, yes, and he looks at me and says "that is ******* pathetic" and walked away.....WTF!!!!

Pass to about 3 years ago, where he pushed a bunch of snow into a friends lot, this friend found me here on Plowsite and asked if I could help him, so I show up at the site, and this jerk has pushed a lot of snow into this lot, filling it right up, takes me a couple hours with a loader to clean it up. When I next run into this contractor, it is a very simple conversation, "I ever see you push snow into someone elses lot again, i will take pictures and phone the police" .
  5. buckwheat_la

With the way that this winter is shaping up, I am willing to take them on. Especially the seasonal contracts, as it is not looking like we have to do much for them at this point. And there are lots of people still looking for work that are happy even for the temp/occasional work so I don't think man power is going to be a problem
  6. siteworkplus

from mass

Sounds like this guy is a sandwich or two short of a picnic

Again, Go for it, Good luck, and BE CAREFUL!
  7. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I would rather not think that all of our work comes from incompetence or retirement. Professionalism, courtesy, and a solid reputation should also factor in!
  8. siteworkplus

from mass

Yes I agree 100%
    I was alluding to work becoming available because of someone else dropping the ball or voluntarily releasing it

I think if someone is performing the job at a high level the client rarely will search out other vendors-unless he's a moron
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had a call from a company that had 7 sites that needed service. I asked what happened to the original contractor and they told me he showed up late and kept making excuses. I was able to squeeze in 2 of there properties as they were close and fit into the routes but I told them I was unable to take on the others this year as I have a full route with both trucks, but will be more then happy to take a look at the properties at season end and give them a bid. They were happy with that. It would be nice to pick up more work before the spring and allow me more time to make arrangements on equipment purchasing. I too am also getting a little bored and painting windows around the house makes me just want to go ahead and get all new windows. There is a lot of work out there, it is just people dont want to do the work.
  10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I just picked up three seperate properties because of the same reason of no shows. I have a problem of saying no and always find a way of getting things done in a timely manner. Sometimes that involves no sleep and working through the night. Sometimes that involves throwing down more salt so I can keep the lots wet as the mad morning rush hour evolves. Sometimes that involves calling in a couple extra bodies. All of that is more out of my bottom dollar but if that's what it takes to grow, then that's fine by me. So if you can handle that extra work, go for it. If you are ready to grow, sign them up. Give them a two or three year contract and get that guy off the map while the customer is wanting your services. Plus the idea of him acting like that towards you, would be the only reason I would definitely take the work away from him and smile as you drive by him every time. And if he happens to confront you and say something, my reply would be, ''well remember when you said is this all I did, I decided to do more work, just so happen to be your work" and then walk away. Karma. I love it.
  11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I keep a 9mm in my dually for this reason, I never know when or if the guy whom I took the lots from this year might pay me a visit
  12. siteworkplus

from mass

He's in Canada They're only allowed baby seal clubs
  13. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Agreed...its almost like they lost interest this year...worked out for me too as i just got a call to give a price on an auto parts store
  14. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

It is called a hapick it if i got it right, a close quarter tool to be sure.tymusic
  15. buckwheat_la

I can say one thing, I keep track of these dead beat contractors. If I see/hear of them getting back in the game, I make a point of telling my contract about them.
  16. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Just signed a 2 year contract yesterday because another guy didn't show up this past weekend for a little 4 inch event.
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

funny.. im watching everything i can because in years like this we need to squeeze out every dime we can just to make 25% of what we usually do! idiots... lost money for them plus lost accounts!
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's been my argument this year. It's almost like contractors were lulled asleep by the lack of any early snow or ice events.

I've seen it around here. Even I feel victim to the lull and had to motivate myself around the first or second week of January.

19. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Also a lot of unhappy clients in our area! Never quoted that much snow that late in the season.