1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am liable for slip and fall if don't sand?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ctplowing, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Pricing up a commercial lot(liquor store) for plowing but don't haver a sander so not able to offer that as a service. I'm wondering if me or the owner of the property would be liable for a slip and fall. Could they sue him then the owner sues me, even with a written contract saying i don't offer sanding services and can't be held liable with this signed agreement, etc?
    Thanks for any input.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Think it's fair to say, once you drop your plow, you can be sued.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

seems now a days you are liable for just about everything all the time no matter what the conditions, better have your lawyer picked out in advance
  4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

you can always be liable but you can limit yourself as much as possible. For sites we do not do sidewalks, our contract states we cannot be held liable for any slip and fall in that zone. You can put in that you are not liable for any ice or slippery conditions but only for the snow causing a slip and fall. What is best is to hire a lawyer to create your contract so that it is good and he can defend you and he will know the terms already. That's something i need to do as well
  5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

Why not get a small tailgate spreader? That will be cheaper than a lawsuit, and you can make a little more money from salting. Is this your only commercial place? You could always sub a guy to lay salt. If it's a small lot, why not get a cheap walk behind and do it that way. Without laying salt down I don't think a little clause in your contract will save you, but I'm not a lawyer..
  6. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

I don't knpw how it works in every state but just have it in your contract. People can see you for literally anything no matter what it says your notn liable for. It's just a matter of having your self covered so that they don't win. It's not a matter of if but when. Have a good contract and good insurance. The rest is up to the ******* who sues you. I know a ton of guys who don't salt or sand but do snow removal. If you don't offer it then it's not your problem if it's not done. You are there to plow. Make sure it's all written and included.
  7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

JMH makes a good point. you may be able to pay off a small tailgate spreader in one year. Then you get yourself into the ice control industry which is great for profit. It is totally worth it and that's coming from someone that's business only salted maybe 5 properties with a small little tailgate spreader to a nice 2yd vbox spreader salting around 15 properties which isnt a ton but a great profit maker and as you grow it get's even better
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's a liquor store, they'll be to drunk to walk anyways.
  9. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Anyone can be sued for anything first off.
    To be found guilty you have to be negligent in your responsibilities. A well written sign proposal outlining what you will or won't do is worth the time.
  10. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Haaa. That's another point. Gonna be some drunks walking this lot. lol