1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I underapplying, or is it just the cold weather?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Customers want 70/30 sand salt mix. tems have been under 20 degrees for the past, well forever. lots of 40 below windchill nights. today, its 5 degrees.

am i under applying, or is the below 15 degree temps causing the salt to not work worth a darn? I dont want to turn the parking area into a beach.

here is what my lot looks like (yes i know, messy we had .25" of snow yesterday and they dont want to pay to do anything with it), they are complaining its not down to pavement, its an apartment complex with high traffic packing down the snow...

site.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i could make it look like this... (this lot had to be repaved after 4 years because of salt damage)

sidewalk.jpg

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

what kind of salt you using My salt works at 5*

I don't run Sand I run a grit its bigger then sand

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

just bagged rock salt.

5. Antlerart06

I say your rate is off

6. Antlerart06

I would run a mix of Icemelt with your sand

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I applied 400 pounds of salt to the lot yesterday. thought that would be plenty on top of what i already had on as a sand/salt mix.

8. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

total property size is 14 acres. how much salt/sand would you say it needs? i am applying about 1.5 tons of sand.

vvpaw.jpg

9. Antlerart06

400 lbs should cover 1 acre of concrete How many acres of concrete you doing

10. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

It's hard to say, could be not enough salt put down for the low temps. I will spread a little extra salt when the temps are real low. (10* or less or cold and overcast) but I run salt only, no sand. I'd keep applying your mix and charging accordingly if they want it down to pavement.

11. Antlerart06

How many sq ft of concrete are treating

12. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

thats the thing antler. i have never figured out how much concrete. is there an app that i can walk/drive the main drives and see how many feet/miles of drives there are?

13. Antlerart06

I found your site and check it looks like 2 acres of street or so
    So your 400lbs is half what it should be

14. Antlerart06

I use google earth to look and figure But if I was bidding on something and I need to know how many lbs I need I use a walking wheel

15. LON

LON Senior Member

16. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Antler, are you running bag or bulk? I use 800-1200 lbs per acre depending on the temp.

17. Antlerart06

I run both in cold temps I add stuff to the salt I always use the same amount

I have a tail gate and a V box chain spreader

Had problems with bulk in the tail gate first time out so I buy bags for it

I notice with tail gate spreader I use less salt vs V box with same results

The tail gate is new to me still learning on it I always had a V box since 81

My rate with it was 800 lbs per acre of bulk with tail gate Im at 400 per acre
    Salt I use in tail gate is finer then the salt I use in the Vbox

18. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

I am in the same boat as you. I started out with a SaltDogg TGS07 and moved up to a SHPE 1500 V box. Due to salt shortage and the fact that I landed a pallet of bag I used the tail gate the other day and forgot how nice it was. Actually considering using it next year with bags.

19. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Antler, what do you and in cold temps?

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I run a mix of Ice Melt and Sand or just straight Ice Melt depending on the lot and or temps. Straight Rock Salt is not as effective at single digits temps, it needs to be treated/coated with Calcium or Mag Chloride to work in sub zero temps.
    It may cost more but you use less and will have clean lots.