1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one who thinks the 93-97 ford prices are through the roof

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by getsum, Jan 27, 2012.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Anyone else notice that the 92-97 f350 dump trucks are apparently made of gold! :dizzy: if its not a rusted out pos its 13-17k! and if it is a rusted out pile of work they still want 6-8k. i LOVE this style truck but apparently everyone else thinks so too :laughing: .... dodge dumps are the same... sorry needed to rant. might look into the 99-02 7.3's there a tad bit more but are not rusted out. just frustrating..

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are on to something....
    I've noticed the same thing with used skid steers....What was selling two years ago for $4,500-$6,000 they are asking $6,500-$8,000 for now, and its two years older...lol.

3. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

lol prices are up but wages and the market is in the can haha

4. Oshkosh

All I can figure is in a better economy people that sell arnt so worried about getting every dime when they sell....In a not so good economy they are selling because they Need every penny to survive...

5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

altho the used market is shooting up because not alot of people can afford 50-70k for a new work truck :realmad: seems like they add 10-20k each year on the new truck prices.. i sure as hell cant and wont afford a new rig ANYTIME soon. just to drive off the lot and it drops 20k in value lol its the quickest way i know of to get rammed with no phone call or even a hug hahaha

6. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

newer ones are out of reach of the every day middle class working stiff. which makes these trucks hold their value longer .

7. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

Back in 2009 when things were worse than they are now (although that may be agruable), I pulled the trigger and bought a new 2008 F250 XLT Diesel Crew for $29,500. It was a screaming deal at the time, and I had my pick of trucks sitting on the lot that had been there almost a year at that point. Now, I see my exact same truck with 50-60K on the odometer sitting on dealer lots from anywhere between $29K-$32K. Makes me feel like I made a good purchase..Maybe I should sell?

I do agree with you though, used truck prices are through the roof because all of the big 3 have priced themselves out of sight for the average working guy. The only new trucks I seem to see on the road now days are fully loaded, leather, etc being driven by weekend warriors who have jobs other than pushing snow around with their rigs. They are using them to get to and from the "office", not working them like most on this site.

8. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

All truck prices went up 2-3500k this yr cuz of the prices of the new trucks. It's crazy. 03 they were 44k. Now 2012 same truck is 60k. Sux. Especially ford. Same god dam bodystyle except for the front ends;(

9. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

I was thinking the SAME thing... Lariat or fx4 are the only rigs iv seen around. DONT get me wrong i LOVE the trucks but god dang you need a mortgage to pay for them and maintain im hearing with the uria oil changes and dpf crap... that n dealers backing out on people. sorry but id rather look for a new motor in a 97 than an 08 with a blown turbo and no money for a new block etc etc

10. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

11. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Just throwing this out there. I bought 40 u hauls last yr and sold 8 so far. If anyone needs7.3 desiel please pm me. 2k each. Pickup only in Waterbury CT all fleet maintained. All have low miles. Most were not turbos. 93 & older.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

They are out of control here too. There's a 1989 F350 on CL for $13k with a replaced engine. It's been on there for years. He just won't give up.

13. procut

procut Senior Member

All used stuff is up in price. I guess its part bad economy and part prices for new are almost out of reach. I look back at some of the purchases I made over the last 7 or 8 years, and realize thats not happening again, atleast any time soon.

In 2005 I bought a four year old Dodge ram. (Truck in my avatar, actually) Nice shape, realitvly loaded, 60,000 miles. $10,000. You could NEVER find a truck thats four years old with those miles and condition for $10,000 today, it would be every bit of 16-17 thousand. Then I bought a Western unimount, complete, and in great shape. for $1500 to put on this same truck. TODAY, almost seven years later, unimounts are going for two grand plus if there complete and in good shape.

I had one of my lawn mowers get stolen last fall. Insurance gave me $4,000. I've been looking around trying to find a used one for about that to replace it with. I recall in 2004 buyng a Toro Z master in literally showroom conditin with 90 hours on it for $4,300. Today, four grand buys you JUNK in a used ZTR. Most of what I've seen in that price range a several years old, many in excess of 2000 hours and beat to sh!t.

I know I'm starting to rant here too, but dam. Atleast others can see my point of view. lol.

14. procut

procut Senior Member

I'm gonna add one more, just cuase I'm really fired up about this now. In the 2007 I bought a 2006 Chevy K2500HD with an almost new Western Ultramount, Gave like 21k for it, tax and everyting. At the time I had I think 16,000 miles, somewhere around there. TO THIS DAY, 4 to 5 years later I'm seeing trucks simlilar on CL where guys are asking 18k-20k for them. In four years and 70 thousand miles the truck has hardly depreciated but a couple grand. :dizzy:

15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

A lot of them dumps are 7.3l turbo diesel. Rare to find decent clean ones these days.
    And they are great motors!!!

16. Oshkosh

All the above being said (I will stay out of the current state of the economy) I see auction prices bringing close to retail prices..(I've been buying and reselling equipment since the mid 80's)..
    Watching C.L and local classifieds there are still what I consider deals around...Mid 90's gas 4x4 F350's with life left in the $3,500-$4,500 range...The diesels are slightly more $4,500-$6,000 range for the most part.
    That being said they havent lost any value in the past few years...
    Not many commercial fleet contractors run the smaller trucks in my circles (F450's and F550's are the smallest) so I cannot comment as to why.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be a jerk or anything but who the hell goes out and looks at buying a twenty year old truck? Besides, I've found that a 1 ton dump is the most overpriced, worn out truck on the market. For what you pay you may as well buy a nice single axle or tandem and get a truck you can actually get more than 5-8 years out of before everything breaks. What's even worse is the only difference between most 2500's and 3500's is one leaf spring and yet you pay a heck of a lot more for inspection, plates, registration, etc. Sorry about the rant but I can't ever understand why people buy these trucks. I'll take a 3/4 ton every day of week and be a lot happier when I look at my bank account.

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Ford dealer here will give me a lot more for trade on my 99 7.3 pickup with 190000 on it then I paid for it 5 years ago in a private sale. I mean like 3 grand more for the trade. I just don't want to do it. Truck is really clean, works for me. I don't want to move away from the motor or have another big payment.

3 years ago I picked up a 92 F350 4x4 7.3idi flat bed dump. $2000 with rusty fenders. 150 for fenders and a bumper, painted it, added a plow and have used it since then. Again, its older but a nice clean professional looking unit. Everyone told me to sell it when I had to drop $500 into it for brakes and front end work this year. Problem is a new truck would be costing me $500 a month and I would still need to do brakes at some point. I know I could list it for $5000 and sell it easy for $4000. Crazy

I will buy 20 year old trucks all day long if it makes sense. I do my own work, get good prices on parts and find it to be much better purchases then new.

Wish I could say the same about my house like everywhere else no matter what I do for renovations, not seeing increase in value now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not to go off on a political tangent, but the word inflation comes to mind. The buck is not worth as much anymore. Just a thought......

20. Oshkosh

WHAT?
    Sad but very ,very true,seems every and I do mean everything I do does cost me more..
    I think that would be one word to sum it all up.