1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one who forgets to turn them off?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Ropinghorns, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I use the strobe lights for a few hours, then hit the streets with them on. Is there a red flashing indicator light that I can install to remind me to turn off my strobes?
  2. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I have a light up switch on mine, but I still forget sometimes!
  3. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

cant see the orange flashing lights? i know mine are bright as heck. i def. know when they are on.
  4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

But if you had a red flashing light in the cab, it would be on when your plowing, I dont know if I could handle that.

Another idea that would be cool is, on some newer trucks the doors lock at 15+ mph, if this was your case then Im sure you could wire your strobe switch into that somehow, to shut off once you reach that speed.

I have led switchs, plus I have clear tubes in the front so I do get a little flash back off my plow so I notice when there on.
  5. Ropinghorns

Cameo ,great idea on the 15mph switch. Maybe just a bell or a slap to the face after the 15mph.
  6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I leave mine on all the time, less chance of being rear-ended or cut in front of. :shush:
  7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

If its light out i may forget for a few minutes I do have light up switches but im not always looking on the left under my steering wheel, now my amber on top I forget about a lot if its a sunny day you dont get is much reflection on the signs but I am usually good at checking them. I just try to remember when I am filling out my time out of lot to shut them off. Put a note on your log sheet?
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

:drinkup: i plow over 15mph all the time....prsport

get yourself a small red LED from radio shack with 2 small wires on it....put it up by your speedo and wire it to come on with switch.....youll see that
  9. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

I use switches from Radio Shack that have a red led when their off and a green led when their on. They are a toggle switch so the color stand out when there is 1 or 2 green lights and the rest are red.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

All really good Ideas. I have 2 clear work lights I leave on all the time. Day or night. I never shut the switch off. They on on the back of my truck on a 45 so I can see the wings of my plow. They are led so the snow builds up on them, but if I leave them on they create enough heat so I don't have to wipe them off every time I get to a new place to plow.
  11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to start the argument again about how people think they're a hazard driving over the road as a reason to keep them on. While I admit to forgetting mine from time to time, I don't make a habit of running them over the road traveling beause it gives no indication that you are beginning work at a site or actively working on a property. Fire trucks are by the same twisted logic a hazard on the roadway, and we don't run those with lights returning from a call.
  12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Drove about tree miles today before I notice then on, (no big deal) We all do it from time to time.
  13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Id say 90 percent of the idiots in ma drive with them on all the time even when they are not engaged in the act of plowing snow. It is the exact reason why mine get completely ignored when Im plowing near a busy road thanks to all the massholes!
  14. Ropinghorns

Right, I want my lights to say," I mean business".
  15. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

My neighbor starts about three hours ahead of the storm. He starts his truck and turns on everyone of his lights (full light bar plus two lights on each side of the roof and two flood back up lights!) and there she sits, in all her lighted glory ........... in the driveway .......... for hours.....running!!! ROFLMAO
  16. dieselmac99

dieselmac99 Junior Member

How else would you know if its warming up and important?!?!

When I get the call I go out and start it because its a PIA to start, come back in, suit up, and then when I get back out in ten min, give all my lights a quick flash just to make sure nothing decided to quit since last storm, and then I'm off to the MHD pit. Oh well. There are a lot of damaged people plowing in MA. [cough...fitchburg...cough]
  17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Have no not seen how some people drive????

I would say that most people out there ARE a hazard when they driveLOL
  18. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I just like to run around with ALL my lights OFF, The truck has daytime running lights that I can not turn off, so I paint them black..

I do Stealth snow plowing, Ninja style, I sneak in, plow the snow and sneak off to my next victim. No ever knows were I am....

Oh wait, what is that big yellow thing on the front? crap!