1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I SOL?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Stik208, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I have finally gotten a vehicle (2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab) Fisher makes Minute Mount/2 push plates for. I have a bad feeling that when I go talk to the install shop thursday they are going to tell me I wont be able to get a 6'9" ld/sd whatever its called know. I have this feeling for 2 reasons its a Crew Cab and I think they will try to push the new HTS at me. Do I have justification in my feeling? I have always wanted a Minute Mount/2 now that Im this close Ill catch the shaft.

2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Are you in any position to do the install yourself? I don't think there could be any liability issues to the dealer if they sell as cash-and-carry (no install), but I may be wrong on that. Maybe one of the plow dealers on here can be a bit more helpful in that regard. As far as what they'll do for an install: I think they can only do what Fisher's Ematch tells them after punching all the info of your truck in. anything larger/heavier will put them at risk legally if something goes wrong. As far as I can see from Ematch, your truck would get a Homesteader, not even the HT.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If Fisher makes MM2 plates for it (you're sure they're MM, not Homesteader?), at the very least you should be able to get the HT, and probably the 6'9" SD.

There's nothing really wrong with the HT. The direct lift is said to be much quieter and smoother than the chain lift. And the DL on the HT locks down for better backdragging. Plus, the HT has the steep cutting angle like the Xblade and XV. These plows scrape much better than the older ones. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself. And it's about 60 lbs lighter. Your truck might be happier pushing the 6.9 vs the 7.5, but you can always take smaller bites.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the crew cab your dealer won't install anything but a Homesteader if he plays by the rules, but there are mounts for the SD/HT too. ;)

5. Stik208

Yeah i have researched, do you think the delaer would look more into having a customer or what that stupid e-match says? I am hoping the first. Oh by the way heres the link to the plates. http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/26677_040104.pdf

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you cash and carry, he shouldn't care.

I presume you don't intend on plowing 20 hours per storm, or traveling down bumpy roads at 80 mph.

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

there is a member that put a 7.6 on something recently. I will try to find the link. I think it was a boss. Fishers are heavy. You can get a good size plow if you go with another brand

8. BigDave12768

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the dealer wants to stay in business he will follow Ematch. The FVMSSA rules the professional, you (the end user) are not held to the standards the "professional" install/sales person is. While you can install anything you want on the truck, the dealer assumes a certain amount of liability for any install but will assume all liability in the event of an accident involving a truck with a plow that exceeds certain parameters. I've been involved with court cases involving plows and accidents, one of the plaintiff's first assertions will be the plow caused an unsafe condition and hindered the trucks designed steering/braking/control.

So while your dealer wants you as a customer he does not want to end up all alone in the court room because he preformed an illegal act in installing a non approved plow. That would allow his insurance to refuse to honor coverage if the plaintiffs can successfully prove the dealer installed un-approved equipment on the truck. Once that (the plow was not approved for the given vehicle) is proven there is nothing left but to award the damages. One of the reasons DD is working so hard to lighten their plows, it will allow them to increase the number of legal fits.

10. Stik208

Understandable. Ill see what I can come up with when I go up there.
    Big Dave I have seen that truck looks good, he said he did well with it except on real long pushes. I know he was selling it, if Fisher doesn't work out Ill see if he still has it.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

call these guys these are the best in in the northeast Burquip equip

12. Stik208

Called te dealer they can do a 7'6" LD for $4221.75 installed or the 7'6" HT for $4113.50, both are NYS tax included of course. So i guess Ill take a gander up there check them both out. Im more partial to the MM2 chain lift.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek:why:confused:

14. BeSeenGraphics

BeSeenGraphics Member

I feel your pain. I drive an extended cab new style Z71 half ton.

15. BigDave12768

I know you want the mm2. But take a hard look at that new HT plow. I know the weights are different. But that HT has the same agreesive angle as the Xblade. I have owned the yellow plows and now have a XBlade and cant believe how nice they cut. Ofcourse they are a heavier plow and that may have something to do with it. So do some homework and on blade thickness. I wouldnt sell out on that HT just yet. They made that for the half tons and I dont thonk its a cheap as the Homesteader. As for the GMC. Yeah he sold it. I am pretty sure its says in post. I just used it as an example. No one really knows much about the HT yet. But for a mid size truck. I think they look like a perfect match

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Stick with the chain lift the other product just came out let them iron the bugs out imo

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try learning a little before you make a recommendation with someone else's money. The HT's use the same lift/pump design that the Homesteaders have for years. So it may be new to you but it's certainly not new.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A safe approuch I agree

Plus DD has the advantage of Blizzard's work in direct lift design. This isn't unproven technology and I would not be suprised to see Fishers heavy commercial plows offered in a direct lift soon.

19. BigDave12768

Isnt it just Blizzard system? I am not sure.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, the only similarities would be that their both direct lift. Different designs.