1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I out of my Bleepin mind?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by zabMasonry, Sep 19, 2009.

1. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

After a dismal, (I mean i took in a grand total of 200 bucks, not included job related expenses) summer, I need to find an income while I'm in school during the winter.

I've plowed my family's driveway with a tractor for the past several years, and i've been lurking here for several years as well. While I may be somewhat book smart, i've still been blessed with pretty good skills operating equipment. I also have a spotless driving record

I've always wanted to plow, and i've always planned on buying a truck and plowing when I "grow up" but i've been thinking that perhaps I could find a job plowing for a contractor in the area.

Now for the questions.

1. Would somebody hire me?

2. Being a college student, there are some times I just couldn't work, like the night before/ day of an exam, and during the day when I have class. I will know these times well in advance, and besides these select times and during the day time, I will be available. Is anybody going to put up with this?

3. Anybody else plowed during their college careers.

4. Am I out of my flippin mind

Thanks,

Ben Z

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Ya mean u only made $200 all summer? lol

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I shoveled for a contractor when I was 15-16 then when I was 17 my boss told me I could plow. Plowed for them through my later high school years and they understood that I couldnt always plow during the day. I would plow from about 3:30 in the afternoon to about 6 the next morning then went to school. It worked out good for me. My advice for you would be to start talking to some of the contractors in your area and see if they need any help even if it is only part time/fill in, worst they can say is no.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You're definitely not out of your mind. I would talk to local contractors and explain your situation. You might get lucky.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Snowplowing is a 24/7 job. Meaning you need to be able to plow when it snows.
    Don't want to rain on your parade but good luck finding a "part-time" plowing job.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Move to Madison, WI. I'll hire you! If you have a spotless driving record, you would be a rockstar here. Why does every guy with a drunk driving conviction want a snow removal job? :dizzy:

7. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

That's because we all drink while we're plowing. lol

8. stillen

stillen Senior Member

nah you'll find some work.. just be up front, don't over commit

9. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

I worked the whole time I was in college. I worked for a construction company that pretty much put me to work anyway they could. Everything from plowing, shoveling, mechanic work and driving truck. I would shovel in between classes and would do relief plowing at night if needed. Then my last two years of school I was running a wrecker and taking it to class with me. I always had spending money and a decent pickup.
    I loved work but unfortunately my grades were not so hot because i committed more time to work than school but oh well. I did have a pretty good thing going though, you just have to prove that you aren't just an irresponsible kid. I'm 25 and just got handed the keys to a brand new, very expensive plow truck, I consider that a compliment.
    Find someone flexible and realize that you may have to shovel snow for a while, but money is money.

10. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Dont pretend you did any better Cre! :cool:

To answer the question though, start looking for ads in the paper with guys looking for operators and at least get your name out there. You might not start in a desirable position but at least you can get your foot in the door.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  11. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

$200 bucks all summer is not bad for a plow...

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice one. Of course up here in Maine, guys use their Fishers for bulldozering. That's why Fishers used to be built so tough.

13. DakotaDarron

DakotaDarron Member

" Why does every guy with a drunk driving conviction want a snow removal job?:dizzy: "

The snow softens the blow once the crash the truck... thats why :drinkup:

14. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Call a few places.. be up front.. whatever you do dont burn the contractor.. its a small world and people talk

15. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

He didn't plow this summer..... that was with a squeegee mounted on the front of the truck payup

16. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

lol well you could probably get a part time job

17. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Haha I have the same freakin problem here. Speeding tickets too. I had one guy apply for a job had 10 points on his driving recordussmileyflag.