1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I out for too long

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turnerlandscape, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Turnerlandscape

Turnerlandscape Junior Member

Just wanted to know if I am the only crazy one out there. I find on an average storm between 3-6 inches I tend to be out for about 24 hours, no brakes.. over 6 can get over 30 hours. Now I know half of you would probably say I am a crazy dumb idiot for doing that.. But hey having a stiff body from being in the same position, being full of soda, crappy food, and candy to keep me awake, and being a little snappy at the end I make good money.. but maybe I need another truck and driver to lighten my load

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

That is crazy. What are you going to do if it keeps snowing for days?
    Could get dangerous....:sleeping:............:eek:

3. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

You are crazy. We run 7 hrs routes. Start to finish. If something breaks, you are screwed.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

yup just a little crazy, what would you do if something breaks?

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Are your customers Happy....The reason i ask is i would hate to be the customer plowed out in the 29th hour....But if they are all happy..More power to you..;)

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

ideal conditions all trucks run 4-4.5hrs. average tends to be around 5-5.5, absolute worst case 6-9hrs per loop.

If we were going around plowing for 24hours I wouldn't be able to field all the complaint calls. The only way I could see plowing for 24hours (one loop) would be if you had a lot of absentee owners (vacation homes or vacant houses for sale).

7. Turnerlandscape

That doesn't really happen in my area. snowing for days in my area might be an inch one day and an inch the next.. that is no big deal. I would do the commercial twice. ( which I have other trucks) but the 40 driveways I do would wait until the end (as long as its under 2 inches) but in my area we really dont get hefty amounts of snow for days

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Way too long IMO as well. I would assume a good chunk of this time involves going back just for sidewalks though? Either get some help or cut back, or that one big storm that comes every few years will do all the cutting back for you.

9. Turnerlandscape

My customers are happy sorry I missed communicated a 3-6 inch storm I would go out on the first loop and open up driveways, and on the 2nd loop after it has stopped snowing and usually the streets are clear I will go back and do the final sweep and do all and any shoveling.. so yes my first loop is usually around 8-10 hours with helping on commercial sights and driveways

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are doing to much double work.

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i found 4-5 hours to be the best. brake downs will not matter too much, ad by the time the snow stars coving the lot or drive again to the point where the customer feels the need to call...your all ready in route. i got a good felling this is why the big snow operations do so well and use as many subs as they do. it basicly costs them the same either way 1 truck for 10 hours or 2 trucks for 5... they just look that much better in their customers eyes.

12. MassPlow

MassPlow Junior Member

Last large storm we had I ran 19 hrs straight. Good money!

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

My thought exactly. I would be most concerned about your customers. All of our commercial lots are looking good by the time each of them open. Our routes can vary from as little as 3 hours with an inch up to 7-8 hours with a monster dump which varies our start times.
    As far as you personally go, seems a little foolish to work that long. Very good chance for an accident or costly mistake.

14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I can't see visting each site twice and billing for once just because you are over booked. Kinda costly.

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicTurner landscape Im just as "crazy" as you are. :dizzy: Here we have 6 weeks of business on average where we will be out every day. Then it settles down maybe a snowfall a week. Average shifts for me ( the boss) is 18 to 28 hours nonstop. My employees maybe 12 straight , depending on job. Sidewalk guys get about 6 hours in with maybe a callout again late in the day. You gotta make hay when the sun shines and ya gotta make banks when it snows. There are days when only the priority contracts need to be done and I handle them myself, We have one peice of leased equipment out of the 11 various peices of equipment and if Im leasing with 1800 hours priced in the lease then thats the unit that will be working and working.

16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You need more equipment & operators.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There is NO way 40 drives should take 24 hours???????

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It depends on your variety of work.

Not all jobs are retail/office that needs to be done at 7-8am.

19. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

i do big commercial lots and on a 6 inch storm we go out when the snow starts and stay out until the snow stops, then we go back after the storm closes to clean everything up. On big storms i will be out for 30 hours straight. I cant see doing driveways for 24 hours straight unless you get 2 feet

20. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I strongly feel I'm spread to thin with one of my trucks and that one does 30 residential drives, 3 private roads, and a couple of small (tiny) commercial lots, takes about 5.5 hours. I personally feel that is not acceptable from a customers standpoint, but have had no complains yet. I do have to say, as soon as something would break on that truck, I have enough back up to not delay by more then 1 hour. I normally plow twice if we get more then 5-6 inches