1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rockerchris, Aug 16, 2015.

1. rockerchris

rockerchris Junior Member
    from Ontario

I am not asking about pricing. I am bidding a fairly high end private school and am trying to determine the best way to service this site on a dedicated basis. It is urban with few places to pile snow. It is approximately 2 acres of parking lot and 1 acre worth of sidewalks.

I was thinking of placing an S150 (or equivalent) with a 6' pusher box and Kubota 2601 w/ sidewalk plow, spoke salter, and brush. For entrances and tight areas, I was thinking that one general labourer would do.

How would you service a site like this? In case your wondering we're looking at bidding about $60k for this all in including salt.

We're located near Toronto, ON and have moderate to medium duty winters of mostly lighter snow falls with lots of salting.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Whoa! A 6' pusher? My lawn mower pushes a bigger plow than that. To get 2 acres done efficiently you'll need to up the size of your blade. I'd shoot for nothing less than an 8' but you couldn't probably get away with a 9' since you stated that you receive mostly light snowfalls (unless a 150 is way smaller than what I'm thinking).

Your plan for sidewalks sounds good. Those Kubotas can move a lot of snow.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find Cet on here. He's an expert on Canadian schools as to what they want.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

LOL who makes a 6 foot pusher? just use an 8' v plow then.

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would go larger than a 150.. That is an awfully small machine. Look at a 185-205 with an 8ft box.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It is only 2 acres....and that's all the machine has to worry about..?...Personally I'd think a decent operator in a S150 size machine and an 8ft pusher would be fine..?..

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't know all the details, but I'd say your right on track if you can get 60k for a couple acres!:drinkup: payup

8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Well...Well...Mr Snow of Crete..How is the concrete business this year..Busy im guessing

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Very....I could use some help down here...need a job? I'll pay you a "livable wage".....he hehe he ;):waving: BTW, hows things up there?

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your bidding 60k I wouldn't worry much about what equipment to use as I doubt you get. Unless it's right downtown and there's something I'm missing.

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If you get a wet heavy snow or 6" that 150 is not going anywhere. 185 will do a fine job with a 8' pusher

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Hey, maybe Scott Walker could help you out , he's got a lot more free time now...:laughing::drinkup:

I think the 150 is to small a machine for the 8' pusher, but of course it depends on how much accumulation builds up before you plow. I also think a 6' pusher isn't big enough to make good time on a 2 acre lot.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

its 2 acres!......if a guy cant handle it in a S150 size machine, considering that's the only thing he has to worry about.....that's sad, and shouldn't be running a skid steer.