1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 06Sierra, Oct 4, 2011.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have a 2006 Sierra 1500. In Maine I have to stay with amber for any flashing lights. I want to get a sho me led flasher and put amber leds in the signals (including plow) and the cargo light. I think I have the relay wiring figured out. I am planning on one relay for the left side and one for the right. Or do I need one for each corner and cargo? For the flasher wires, there is ground, power, left side, right side and to change flash pattern. Ground is obvious. Does the power wire go to the switch and left/right go to the respective relay? I am actually going to cross the cargo lights so the right cargo flashes with the left signal and left cargo with right signal. I know a few of you have done similar set ups. I just want to have it planned out right instead of trial and error!! Where did you find is the best place to split into the signal wires?

2. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I'm interested ,subscribed

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't it be easier to install a led hideaway system or strobe system? I think there's to many things to go wrong with trying to tie a flasher into the vehicals turn signals and cargo lights. I am pretty sure the power will back feed into the trucks wiring and send weird signals to the computer. And I really wouldn't want to see my 4 ways flashing in my gauge cluster all night. Just my 2 cents and trying to save you a headache down the road.

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

From what I have read on here, the relay will prevent back feed. However, I didn't think of the guage cluster flashing. Not sure if it would flash or not. Although I only plow my driveway and they would only be on for the few minutes that I am near the road. I have seen on here a couple of guys that have done this to the mirror lights and cargo/3rd brake. I haven't heard of any issues with it. Hopefully one of them will chime in on this.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If its for that little bit of time i'd just get a simple tear drop rotator or just turn my 4 ways on. But the idea of building something like this would be sweet to do. I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You're asking for a problem down the line. You can have clear strobes on private property

7. 06Sierra

from Maine

I had a cheap little mag mount strobe that crapped out on me. I read a few different threads where it was done to the cargo light and mirror lights. It seems like a neat idea, if it isn't going to cause problems. Bossplow, I was wondering what, of any problems this could cause.

8. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

We outiffed a 06 Ram 2500 with Whelen Vertex Strobes and a Mag mount mini light bar.
    Video Here