1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hello all, just wanted to see if I was missing something here. I live in southern ohio. As you know there was a storm that is...... well on us now and is completely rain and news has been saying that this area is going to be that way for the past 24 hours and that our lows would be 33 last night when the rain would start but wouldn't stick. so just incase, I got my trucks all ready and there sitting in the garage.
    Last night my wife and I go test drive a few new suv's (first baby on the way wooohhhhhoooo)......... as I drove through the beechmont area near the 275 loop I realize I must be the only idiot not out salting?????? I scratch my head every time I see this but last night at about 8:00 pm when stores were busy and restarants were getting slammed there were trucks with flashing lights with vbox's throwing salt everywhere.......... One particular place we stopped to try to eat (to long of a wait it was packed) some older fella was GIVING IT to the guy that was out salting the lot. he had thrown salt up on the front of several cars on each side of the runway...... Now I understand chit happens but hell fellas what the hell were you out anyway for is what im thinking.

Cant imagine these are seasonal contracts because these folks had to know they were throwing salt for no reason(gas,money,payroll down the drain) ..... We have gotten enough rain now that that salt is long gone and washed off. Ground temps never got below 34 last night according to news. So what gives? Just contractors ripping ppl off or what?????? Would maybe explain why I have gotten so many calls this year wanting snow removal/ice management........ Id be pissed if I were management and saw what I saw at these places last night. wish I had reliable help and more equipment, I could have taken on a bunch of more work this year but like staying small 2-3 trucks out at a time............

Like I said, maybe im missing something..........
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

No they are giving the hose job. I do not do this, but I see it all the time. If it would start to freeze I would go out.
    Now if you have some place that would like it done so there is never any chance of ice, do it.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

This is one of my pet peeves as well. We are supposed to get 3 to 6 inches from 2 am through 10 pm tonight. I went out and plowed everything this morning, now I am home waiting to meet trigger again before I head back out. As I finished my last lot, I saw the neighbor lot being plowed, and as soon as they finish, they start throwing salt. This is a business that is not open on the weekends, and we are supposed to get another 2 to 4 inches before 10 tonight. Can someone answer why there is salt being thrown down when it is just going to disappear, and the lot will still need plowed before the end of the night? Of course the answer to this is just a contractor wasting a small business owners money for no good reason, and is probably why I always feel broke, because I do not waste other peoples money.
  4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Congrats on the baby coming! Hopefully you get some snow soon, the snow helps us keep the trucks and bills paid. To answer your questions on guys out over salting etc, it's hard to say since I wasn't there seeing the wheather conditions. I know the other day we had heavy rains with a rapid freeze up and it turned from wet roads to ice in a matter of a hour and I actually was out pre salting in the rain also because I knew it was coming and some of my accounts are pretty dangerous when they get icy it makes me look bad so I try to keep that from happening but yes I try not to rip off my customers. I do see it in my area alot every morning there is a dusting and all us plow jockeys are out like vulgers trying to make a buck haha. But it comes down towhat your customers need service wise and also being a honest contractor.
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Must be following the lead of the DOT. Couple of Sundays ago I'm traveling to look at a job at 8:45 am, temp 38 deg with highs in the 40's mid day. State truck is salting ( bulk not liquid) the brand new under construction Q bridge in New Haven Ct. Total waste of our tax $. Same with liquid pre treat, you'd think we were getting frozen precipt every night!
  6. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the congrats on the kid!!! Im excited but also scared that me and my bass boat are gonna not be as good of friends anymore:cry:... LOL

Im totally with you if your gonna get a quick drop in temp! Thing is, last nights lows were gonna be right at freezing but yesterdays highs were 37 which tells me surface temps weren't going to freeze. Then todays high is going to be 37 again. So I guess its is what it is. I just know it seems like one hell of a way to piss off customers............ I guess these types of ppl will be the ones that keep business coming my way so I shouldn't complain....... I think my wife said it best last night with one word. Greed.........

Don't get me wrong, ive been questioned before on salting by a few of my local banks when there was a very light snowfall. I let them know that management wanted a no tolerance clause so if there is any trace of snow or ice on the lot it is to be salted. After that all was good.

Weather it is commercial work or not I cannot justify gouging someone that way................... Now if management calls me and saids get up here ill be on my way after letting them know I don't think it will be needed.
  7. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That's funny you brought this up. My two uncles are at a gun and knife show in Sharonville Ohio right now and one of them called me and said the state trucks are everywhere sitting at idle completely loaded with salt. Now according to my weather channel it in fact is gonna get pretty cold tonight at 25 degrees but dam he called me at 10am this morning (its 37-38 degrees now and raining) and told me that!!! LOL
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

By the way, sorry I just realized I may have put this in the wrong section.... Might had put this in the ice management....... OH well, were good.
  9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I see it all the time.. I don't go out when i should.. You have to watch customers budgets or they will be paying all summer... Winter hasn't even started yet, budgets will be blown early
  10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree budgets will be gone come mid january at this rate.
  11. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Pre treating because its hard to get in front of the wave after its past just in case. And it's Christmas.
  12. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

I've seen a number of cities do that - especially in warmer climates. I guess it's to keep people from calling in and wondering what they (said city) are doing to prepare for the "Blizzard-Superstorm of the Century of the Week!!" The local news station showed them preparing for the storm by pre-treating and with others on standby.

...that and maybe they were all caught up around the yard and needed to pay the crews anyway