1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i missing something here?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy82, Jul 9, 2001.

1. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i had bid on a condo contract a few months ago. it was 50 townhouses, 2 roads, and 2 small parking areas that are carved into the one of the roads. the townhouses would all require a lot of back dragging to plow the snow. i had bid on for this job, to leave a skid steer there for the driveways, and to have a big truck go through and do the roads every hour or so. only about 3 driveways would have needed sand / salt. well i talked with the guy in charge and he told me that the people bidding on it wanted to just leave 3 or 4 trucks there. now am i dense or something? because that seems silly to me, why not leave a skid steer or two there, and let the trucks go do residentials, commercials, and other roads. that is what makes sense to me. the driveways are no longer than 40 feet each. am i missing something here? how do you guys do this stuff? cause it seems to me that more money can be made by leaving a machine there, and let the trucks go make you more money.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

lawnboy82,

Welcome to the world of commerical plowing.

From you description the gentlemen you talked to just told you what the current snow removal service did.

If it were me, I would double and triple check you estimate, maybe even visit the site again. Draw a diagram and make measurements if you want to. Make sure to ask where you can stack snow, If you push/stack snow on the grass make sure it is back far enough that you can put more snow there if the need arises.

Remember you are giving a bid on how you are going to plow, not how someone else plows.

You might wait a couple of days and Chuck Smith or someone else might have a better idea.

Do you have a sample plow contract? If not let me know, I might have one I can send you as a guide.

Good Luck,

Rick

Or you could check chuck smith's website, I think he has a sample contract on there.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2001
  3. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i am not asking how to bid. i am just asking why somebody would want to park 3 or 4 plow trucks at one place for a whole storm, when you can just leave a skid steer or two there, charge for them, and then let the trucks go out and make you even more money. let one truck go back every now and again to do roads and sand.

4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

You are bidding on a service/product, and so long as you can deliver the service and the product in a satisfactory and timely fashion, you should run the operation to that goal.

You're thinking that their thinking is a little off base in on the money. (Say that 5 times fast.)

99.5% of the people here will say the same thing.

5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Am I missing something?

Well, for the property manager, he has the security of knowing that your trucks are already there and do not have to come from some other job. To get those trucks out, you have to plow your way out his property. He can point with pride to your fleet and how a shrewd a negotiator he was to make sure his property is first cleared first open.

From the plow owner's point of view, if the property is a secured limited access property, what better place than to store a fleet of trucks loaded up with sanders, plows, chains on the dually wheels, front end loaders, skid steers, etc. and not worry about the length of trucks that used to fit in your yard or warehouse without 10 - 12' plows or wing plows now installed and to be left on for 3 - 4 months? Where else can you get free storage and get paid for it?

On the other hand, unless he provides parking for the trucks your drivers use to get to his property, and unless your guys have big momma 4wd trucks when it gets nasty, how are you going to get your drivers there to get the fleet started? And, where do you store your spare parts etc. that you might need even on his job?

6. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I guess my question would be.

If you have 50 drives, 2 roads, & 2 small parking areas. Why would you need 3-4 trucks?

Of course I can't see what it looks like, but 50 drives side by side shouldn't take very long provided you have a backblade on your truck. One truck should be able to handle an account like that and still have time to do other things.

At the company I used to work at we had a 150 unit condo place, close to 2 miles of roads, and all drives were doubles. This was just our last stop in our route. we had 3 trucks/two with backblades and completed it in 1.5-3 hrs depending on the amount of snow.

As far as the skidsteer. IMHO a truck could plow much faster.

7. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

there is noplace to put the trucks at this site. all trucks must be brought there from a yard. if you need sand, you gotta leave again, go back to your yard and get more. the guy was saying though that they wanted to leave 3 or 4 trucks there for the whole storm. i find that to be very silly. i really think that if you go there and leave 1 skid steer with a couple guys to shovel it would be good. by the way, the roads are in a lot of places single lane. so backing any size truck out would be a pain, and you can do a much better job with a skidder.