1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i makeing an oops

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BossPlowGuy04, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

hey guys, i was all exicted to get into plowing this year and i picked up a used boss plow for my truck and i have 15 accounts 5 small lots and the rest driveways. and i'm in the process of getting insurance, and i'm getting my light bar put on tmmrow. but now after spending all this money i don't know if i'll break even for one. and the second one which is a big one to me is people are telling me i shoudn't be plowing with my truck and i'll mess it up. my truck is a 2006 chevy 1500 with plow prep and 4x4, will my truck be fine for plowing? the truck is also my daily driver to get me back and forth to school. so what do you guys think and also i will be the only one driveing it.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well not to be mean before you hit the Submit Reply button hit spell check.

As for the plowing the truck is fine. If you don't beat the thing to death it will last a long time.When the wheels start to spin stop. When doing the parking lots if there happens to be wet heavy or a lot just take your time and chop at it you don't have to take full bites. It's better to be a few minutes late then standing next to a broken or stuck truck.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Snow plowing is a gamble, somtimes you win sometimes you loose. As for your truck it will do fine. Keep up on oil changes flush the trans and lube the truck. Add some balast and have some fun. But not too much for you will break something!!!!!!!

Good Luck

4. BossPlowGuy04

from novi Mi

sorry about the spelling i typed it kind of fast.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine is plowing with a 1999 Tahoe. It has a 8'6" plow. It has plowed since it was new and the repairs have been less then most trucks. It only plows commercial. Take your time and stop before you shift. Lots of grease.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

That truck should be fine if like said above, brains are used when operating and maintain it like it should be. My previous truck was a '01 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab and I never had problems with that thing where I have plenty with my F-250. This truck is going to nickel and dime me to death!:mad:
  7. grandview

There was no nickels and dimes involved replacing the tranny of my F250!payup :cry:
  8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Same here but now my tranny is under a really long warranty (Know the trans builder, family friend) and im all good.

As for your chevy, it shouldt last too long. if you had a real truck you wouldnt have any problems:rolleyes: . Kidding aside, youll be fine with the advise already given here. Just out of curosity, what happens during a storm and you have to go to school before your route is finished?
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

As fas as breaking even. You sure won't be paying for the plow and a truck payment in a years worth of plowing. The insurance, operating costs, and payments all must be considered. Just try to make the plowing enjoyable to you on your first year and go from there.
  10. BossPlowGuy04

from novi Mi

i only have class from 11-4, so i'm hopeing i can do all my work before i go to school, and if it snows while i'm in school i can clear it when i get home, and if worse comes to worse i will skip class and plow. my teachers are aware of my situation and said its no big deal if i need to leave early it just means i have more hw.
  11. grandview

Best thing to do is just keep a couple of places and learn and not rush,Stay in school you may not even like this type of work.

PS When using "i" by itself, it is capitalized all the time!:D
  12. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

GrANDvIew mUst Of beEn An english teACheR in anotHeR LifE. (oh wait,,, now it??! looks like,,, Ole Tower !!wrote my post)!!??!?!>>!<:jester:
  13. grandview

If you would see the red lines in my posts i ain't no engish magor!
  14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with a 1/2 ton as well, If you have the plow prep package you should be just fine. Put 500# of Salt or sand in the back and put Timbrens in the front. Timbrens are amazing, It keeps your truck from weighing down when your at full tilt, your plow mount will never come close to hitting the ground when driving from account to account, It's better for your tranny and front axle, and your truck will handle a crap ton better!!!

98 Ford F150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST 7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130
  15. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i to plow with a 1/2 ton same thing chevy 1500...i love it ive got the 5.7, not the power of a disel but its got enough...if u dont break even dont be upset...plenty of people dont and some just break even some make more then they put out...if u dont break this year u will next...ull be fine take ur time

oh and dont worry about the spellin
  16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i was just wonderin HOW is timbrens better on your front axle or tranny? does it make the plow weigh less or somethin,........maybe REALY BIG helium baloons instead of plow guides:rolleyes: or maybe bottles of liquid helium i heard they are really light

back on topic you'll be fine with a 1/2ton we always keep at least one for small comm.
  17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like your in better shape than me. im not even sure if i have the time or want to plow what i already have for work, or i want to get more work. or i want to run just the one truck. or i want to run both. or im running myself with my girlfriend filling in or another driver or a sub that wants work and asked me about it two months ago or, just go get lots of trucks? just watch the snow out the window?, or, or, or, or,.........
    and i already have a full time job and then some. i have no idea what im doing.:rolleyes: :realmad:
    guess ill find out when the first snow flake hits the ground. its all good. :drinkup:
  18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

'cmon BRI you are a "SENIOR MEMBER" why would you want to give up all that moneypayup

p.s. i sure am glad we have titles now,.......it was hard to tell how many post a member had before them
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  19. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Alex.....I would also suggest plowing in Low range/ second gear.

Premium Snow (not all season) tires....studded if possible and allowed.

Use momentum when you should, "easy-does-it" otherwise.

The trany on a 1/2 ton will be its weakest link.....add a trans temp gauge if you can and keep it under 220. Add a HD trans cooler if temp keeps going above that.

Timbrens will help, but you may also want to crank up the torsion bars a few turns.

Good Luck
  20. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

You will be fine i plowed last year with my 98K 1500 with a meyers 7.5 no trouble or breakage mostly just plowed in 2wd and actually made a little money in the first year. Paid of the plow, truck, blower, spreader and expenses all in the first year so yes you can break even the first year. They were some long days but glad i did it. Like has been said before take your time so you don't hit any thing or tear up any thing. Change your fluids before the season depending on milage and at the ednd of season and you will be fine. As for the timbrens every body said to get them but i didn't my truck is a reg cab short bed w/z71 and with 500 lbs salt in the back with the plow on the front only squated 3/4" with out adjusting the torsion bars. I also used good year wrangler td's for tires with no trouble. Make sure your truck has limited slip option code G80.