1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am i lighting up the night in a bad way

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CGLC, Dec 16, 2008.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I installed 2 55 watt fog lights to the back of my truck a couple of weeks ago. The lights run off my second battery and they have a 15amp fuse. I installed a toggle switch in the truck and ran extra wire to the back of the truck where I mounted the lights. Today I installed two more lights (same kind) up by the tool box (for the Salter) and I just spliced into the hot wire I ran down through the frame. I turned them on for 15 min and blew the 15 amp fuse . I cut the old fuse out and put in a 20amp, I want to know if I could hurt anything by doing this. Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

12 watts = 1 amp @12vdc.

So 55/12vdc = 4.58amps per light

4 lights = 18.33amps total.

Ok to run a 20amp fuse, but what size gauge wire do you have? This is the most important question.....
  3. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

stock that came with the lights from battery to fuse 1 foot about small size wire . Then thicker from fuse to back of the truck 10 feet then smaller again to lights. Smaller size a little thicker then the long pasta nodels. The larger is bigger. Sorry for the really bad description.
  4. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I have seen a truck burn to a total loss because the owner did not use a heavy enough wire for a whelen light bar (it was a brand new truck too). Don't be stupid & cheap and go with a light gauge wire, It's not worth it... fuses are there for a reason, put the 15 back in or change the wiring

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

x2 do you have a relay?
  6. ffplow

ffplow Junior Member

Definetly put a relay in there, very easy to do. Run 16 or 14 guage wire for the 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp fuse. Solder all connections. Have fun driving.
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you need to find out what guage wire you are using, not if its thin or thick. i always go overkill on wiring, that way i make sure that the fuse is the weak link and is the first to blow.
    also, on a long run from the front of your truck to the rear you want step up a size.