1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i learning the hard way?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by timrev8, Dec 18, 2012.

1. timrev8

timrev8 Junior Member

i bought an 08 2500hd chevy that had 6 hidden strobe bulbs already installed. i bought a sps660 strobe controler from ebay and hooked them up and they worked great.

i thought i would get a 90w conrtoller so i got an sps690 and they only worked for a little while then quit now a flash once in a while is all i can get out of it.

is there watt ratings on the bulbs? all the replacement bulbs i can find dont say anything about watts.

thanks in advance
  2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thats only 15 watts per bulb.......they should easily handle that. Try unpluging one cable to a bulb at a time You may have a grounded wire somewhere. Mine started doing random flashes and it was a bad bulb. once it was unpluged they fired as usual.
    Do they still work on the 60 watt unit?
  3. timrev8

timrev8 Junior Member

i unplugged all but one and plugged in one at a time and 4 worked and 2 didnt. did i have 2 bulbs go bad at the same time?

thanks for the help
  4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Try them individually on a circuit from the power supply that you know works. If it still dosent work there's a problem with the bulb. If it does work, it's a problem with the previous outlett on the power supply that wasn't working. I'm thinking a bad power supply... The two extra legs of it. There's 4 together than the extra 2. If both the extra 2 circuits aren't working together, be sure you have the trigger wire connected right.
  5. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

There's 2 switch wires that need 12v for all 6 to flash, did you connect them both? One should do 4 outputs, the other should do 2.
  6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thank you crazy....this is pretty much what I am trying to get at. Just couldn't get it out as smooth.
  7. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

This is why I went with LED.. been there done that never again will I deal with a power pack. lol