1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I in the right forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lazyguy1223, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lazyguy1223

lazyguy1223 Junior Member
    from chicago

I found this site yesterday and everyone seems very helpful and knowledgeable.I have never owned a plow and driven a plow truck only once.So here's my question I have a 01 f150 extended cab 4x4 the front axle is 3600 i spoke to a dealer yesterday and he told me it's rated for a western suburbanite.He also said i could get away with the midweight or pro by putting weight in the back.This is my work truck and it has 120,000 on it so next year i plan on switching the plow onto a newer f250 i dont even know if the plows are the same size.So i really dont care about the truck only that it will hold up for one season.Also I will only be doing a few drive ways for elderley relatives and two very small lots for friends.I'm not looking to make money I just want to learn whats going on for now.I only looked into western plows because thats what everyone i know has but i'm open to other brands.thanks for your help

Yes you are ! As far as plow choices go, do your homework and you will find some are better than others as they offer more features, but remember that more moving parts also mean mean more items to replace due to wear and tear. If you are planning on upgrading trucks from a light duty to a medium/heavy duty I would wait until I get the stronger truck and then make my purchase. I run a 96 2500 GMC Sierra 8600 GVW with a Western Ultramount Prow plow and wish I would have bought a 3500 or larger truck for pulling my enclosed trailer and hauling more salt but am still happy with my choice as it is paid for and I have owned it since 2000 with only a transmission replacement and normal wear out items. Hope this helps, Keith
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Look here, I have the same crappy front axle as you do. I slapped a 656# plow on my rig with 70# prowings, I also bought timbrens to keep the front end from bottoming out, ballast weight in the rear to keep the truck level, to off set the plow weight for traction.
    Also snow tires.

If you upgrading to a f250 next year, your gonna want a plow that is a least good enough for the bigger truck.

You need at least a 7 1/2 foot plow, so your not driving over snow when your plow is dropped at full angle. 7 1/2 is fine for an f150, but for a 250, I recommend 8 and up.

An 8' pro western steel plow only weights #699, I've got more weight on my front axle with my 7.6 meyer/wings. Not that I recommend that, but you should be only plowing a for one season with the 150...Drive it nice, It'll hold up.

If I were you, I would look into snoway plows...some really nice plows, that don't weight quite as much as there competitors.

I hope your truck has the tow package...It comes with a transmission cooler. which is highly recommended for plowing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What he said

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look into a Sno-Way plow. Alot less weight and they have down pressure. Great for driveways.
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would find something used. I would buy it for this truck. Run it this year, get the feel for plowing. Don't "low ball" your price if you choose to make money at it.

Next year buy the new truck, get a new plow and keep this one for back up or the new one for back up. You are probably going to have to buy new mounts if you switch trucks. The labor to pull it off of one and put it on the other will cost you (unless you do it your self)

You won't feel quite so bad running the older truck into a snow bank as you will the new one. And there is nothing that calms a plowers nerves like having a back up truck waiting for him if the one he is driving breaks.

Good Luck
  7. lazyguy1223

lazyguy1223 Junior Member
    from chicago

Thanks for all your advice.I also have an 04 awd tahoe and the western dealer said its rated for the midweight.Now i'm not sure what to do

KINNCO Senior Member

buy plows...post pics...that was easy!