1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i in over my head for my age?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Guzzo856, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

im 19 and in business, this winter i will be running 5 plow trucks and my skid steer , my pickup and dump, and 3 other subs. Im going to handle 8 apartment complexes and 2 offices, with 1 apartment complex about a total of about 700 units its very large. I will be running 3 sidewalk crews with a total of 22 men, I Have 2 v-box alt spreaders to handle it. Has anyone ever thought that they are in over their head. But im confident and prepaired.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We'll find out after the first snow.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You will know exactly where you stand after the first snowfall. I hope its about a 4 inch or so storm. That will give you a good idea if you can handle things, or if you need to scramble and get more help.

4. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

Good to hear you are ready but you better make sure the 22 guys are ready. They can be the make it or break it of a storm! Good Luck!!

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Have plans B, C, D, and even E ready... you will be tested and If you dont have back up plans to your back up plan, things can and will get messy very quick..... word of advice have at LEAST double the personal available for your sidewalk crews

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have double and hope for a 1/3 to show.:cry:

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, probably in over your head...but that's a great way to learn.

8. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I think you will find out really quick once the first storm hits, either it goes smooth or it goes downhill real quick.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

So...did you manage to grow a moustache for Movember this year?

10. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Wow good job, I'm curious how you were able to acquire 2 trucks and a skid by the age of 19. Not to mention the amount and type of accounts you acquired at such a young age.

11. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Right, pleeeeeeeaaaase tell me how, I am 20 and i havent managed to get those accts and im in college...not to mention all the trucks, Im JUST getting ready to buy my second truck

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If everyone does what they are suppose to, shows up , works hard
    & no equipment failures you will probably be okay. That apartment complex is will be the most challenging. You may want to line up some extra help just in case

13. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

oh boy !! all joking aside of course sounds like a bunch how much more did you take on from last season?

14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Wow congrats to those accounts! I know i didnt have those when i was 19!

15. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

The only difference between you and I is 40 years! Congratulations on where you are at.

The big question is your experience, is this all new business and is it priced right. Any one of these areas can kill.

I know at your age I could handle the 30 hrs straight on the big ones, better than I can today.

If you don't have one, get a wife to tell you how to do it, what you can buy, and how much you can spend. It make handling the employee's a snap-in all honestly, I wish you great success, build something for your future and rely only on yourself to be successful.

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Impossible to get over your head when you're 19. It's way too big. Only one who can answer that question is you. Congrats and good luck..Thumbs Up

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I am curious as to how you did get that many accounts so fast.. Did you purchase the accounts from someone? Im not sure about you but the only way you get that many and those types of accounts is by having an established business that has a good and longstanding reputation. Or did you take over these accounts from someone?

18. allaspects10

allaspects10 Junior Member

persoannly i have no idea how you got that far at 19 but im proud of ya. Im 29 been in biz for just over 3 years and got my first new truck under one year ago. if you have a cool head good people and the willingness to stick through it you will do fine keep your chin up and keep on pushin and stackin good job!!!!!!!!!!!

19. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

low bidder lol!!!!!!:salute: good luck that is alot of work

20. AmericanPlower

AmericanPlower Junior Member

Jerseyy

I am also from Jersey and started my Landscaping business at 17 also...first ever big season in snow plowing was last yr at age 20.....I also wonder how you have these new trucks? if the 2011 F250 is yours? or the subs? but thats good for you...lol....what apartment complexes are you doing? if i know them i'll let u know how your looking...