1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I hitting the money target?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by benabarlow, Dec 24, 2008.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

Hey there, I was wondering what people are making out there. I've got 28 places which takes me about 8 hours on 6 inch storm. At the end of plowing and a light salt, I bill out about $1300. I don't dare really take anymore without sacrificing quality of service. Is this a good target or can I squeeze out a few more bucks? I know I could be faster with an xls system however. Thanks all!!!
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

$1300/8 hours = $162.50 per hour.
  3. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

doesnt sound too bad.....I know there are guys making tens of thousands a storm but that really requires more overhead and more help. I would always try and add a few more if you think you can handle it... a little more $$$ never hurt anyone
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Adding more can hurt you if you can't handle it. Some guys have took on too much work because they are are greedy and have lost it all. 8 hours on a 6" storm is plenty. JMO
  5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

agreed, 8 hours per truck turns out to be a lot of hours when you have a foot to clean up, or when it snows for a day straight and you have to clean everything up 2 to 3 times...
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

you can always hit drives after your done in a big storm . don't do more than you can handle . I had more than I could handle . 3 years ago . I had to down size people aren't happy when you tell them i can't do it . but now i make more in less time payup .
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

For 1 truck..162/hr sounds descent to me.

But you can make more.
  8. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

Thanks guys! Yeah on a 20 inch snow storm it does take a while. 18 to 24 hours. I feel like this is a good limit for me. So whats the next step?
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you feel you can get the work, try and get another truck. Keep in mind you need someone as dependable as yourself that is willing to be on call 24/7.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When you get to JD's age 8 hrs of snowplowing is plenty. As time goes by you can pick up better paying customers and make more money with less time plowing.
  11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the 6 hr. range. Don't really want someone asking why I plowed at 12 at night and it still snowed 4 more inches in their driveway by the time they got up. Try looking at a faster way to clean the drives. Tighter route, bigger plow, how about 50-75 drives and use a tractor with inverted blower. Just some ideas.
  12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

maybe you should look at another truck......sounds like a back up plan wouldnt hurt you either
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with this. But if you feel like you can handle more, go ahead.
  14. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

I think a back up/ second truck is a good way for you to go. Even if pick up the same work load for that truck as you do for your main truck as long as your making enough money that you feel satisfied at the end of the day, i'd say your doing good.
  15. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

the next step is get a backup truck and have someone run maybe 5 or six drives, and slowly shift the workload towards them as they become more comfortable. The next year you load yourself up with new clients and do the same thing each year passing off your clients to the next truck. That was assuming you have the most experience you'll be able to pass off hints or tricks on these new properties to the employees you have working for you. And youll always have a lightly loaded truck to help out on a big storm.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Backup truck is very important. I lost my transmission on my main truck this storm. Fortunately I have a second. It's not much, but it saved me from losing alot of business. I just put a friend in it this storm. It will certainly help with the workload.
  17. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

What size/type blade do you have on your truck and what type of truck?
  18. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

My route is 38 drives in 6 ish hours on an average storm. But on the occasional trip if I get stuck or something breaks obviously its going to increase my time depending on the problem. I personally wouldnt take on a whole lot more being that you are a one man/truck show. I just think without any help you putting your neck out there a little too far if something were to happen.

19. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

subtract gas, sand, salt, insurence, truck maintence and it boils down to a much lower number
  20. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Well yeah......of course hes not bringing home that much. but I dont think thats too bad of a place to be