1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am i getting Ripped off?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Petr51488, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Well, all this talk of not getting a plow for my diesel truck, and now, i've decided to get one. The truck is the one in the signature. I spoke to the GMC dealer, and they won't void the warrenty on me. (Truck is too long, and diesel upfront) Now, i know prices range from area to area, but i was wondering how this price sounded. Its for a Boss 8'6 superduty installed and the XT for about 250.00 more. What is the XT? I read up on the boss site about the superduty and it looks pretty nice. The one feature i like is the shock absorber between the springs. THe price for this is 4,050 with an end of the season discount. Regular price is 4,250. Not really much of a discount if you ask me. Just a few questions, does this sound right? This includes the plow, the wiring, controller and lights? Or is some of this stuff extra? I know i should be asking the dealer this, but i don't really want to look like an a$$ and have him take advantage of my lack of knowledge of plows. This is my first plow, so i would like to find out as much info as possible before i dive in.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. davink

davink Member

That price does not seem all that off for me. I paid a similar amount for the same plow.

The only thing that I would caution is make sure that you have plow prep pacage on your truck. I had this discussion with chevy and gmc before I bought my truck. I can tell you that atleast in my area the dealers have no say in the warentee issues. Some of them will put items through, and not tell the factory rep that there is a plow on the truck, but most will go back and give you issues even if they say they wont. I have been there before with my old truck which is why I was so careful about it buying my last truck. Just my $.02 Good luck with the plow though:)

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Well, the diesel is upfront, so i'm pretty sure it has the larger alternator, better shocks up front, and it has the dual battery setup. So, i think i'm good as far as the prep package, even though it doesnt have it. (never was an option for that style truck)

4. Tediesel

Tediesel Member

I had a nightmare with chevy over a warranty issue on a 1 ton without plow package. Oil pump blew out at 4500 miles and they refused to cover it because "I put a plow on the truck bigger than they recommend" I asked them what size they recommended and then told them it was 6 inches shorter although it wasn't and they still wouldn't do anything. I spoke with GM on many occasions and they said they stood behind their dealers 100% and sent me a coupon for a free oil change 4 weeks later. By that time I traded the truck and the headaches in on a dodge. I did end up getting the oil pump changed under warranty but had to remove the plow brackets and take it to a small dealer that could get away with letting it slip through. From my experience it is almost entirely up to the dealer if they can sneak something through or not. It seems small dealers can get away with more on warranty issues than the big ones- :gunsfiring:DAY chevrolet who when I bought my truck spoke very highly of themselves in the service department and swore up and down BEFORE i bought the truck that putting a plow on it would cause no problems "as long as I took it to them". From my experience don't take your dealers word, get something in writing before you put a plow on that it won't void your warranty. But if something does happen be prepared to uninstall the plow and look for a dealer who can help you.

5. davink

davink Member

If there was not an option to get the plow prep package for that truck, then that ussually means that the factory/ manufaturer is goint to give issues on covering it if it has a plow on it. I would be darn sure to get it in writing from them. Good luck though!xysport

6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yup. I think it sounds reasonable that its pretty much up to that dealer on how they want to stand on the warranty. My Dodge diesel, 4 door isn't supposed to have any plow of any size on it (as far as i know) But when I asked the dealer about warranty b/f I bought it they said "no problem". I've had warranty issues honored since purchase w/ no questions asked. So, my dealer has been good. I also had a ' 99 Dodge diesel 2500 b/f this one which was the same story.
    Neither 1 had a prep pkg.. I was told ya get all the stuff in a prep as U do w/ the diesel motor so ya don't need one on the diesels. I guess they've changed that now though. They've written plow prep pkg. on the sticker (not added anything more) and charge $550 more just for the customer's peace if mind!!!

7. davink

davink Member

Your forgetting the fact that the diesel is much heavier than a gas engine.. the reason that in a Club Cab four door Chevy, you can not get the plow prep package on it if it has the diesel in it. it adds more weight to the front axel. granted they place the weight ratings assuming that the cab is at it max weight, and I really do not know 4 more people willing to ride around with me and plow. but I will say that I know people who have plow rigs on the chevy CC Diesel, and have had major problems with warentee since they did not have the plow prep package. One to the tune of replaceing the trans at 7000 miles himself, which was obviously defective because we all know the the Alison Trans does not s**t the bed at 7000 miles unless it is defective.... all I am saying is to be careful. No matter what your dealer states, if they can not get the factory to warrent it then they are not going to cover it. No dealer is going to loose money on something.:)

8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Dealers suck when it comes to the service department. They refuse warranty work because it is more profit for them to have you pay out of pocket.

9. davink

davink Member

Yep, more profit and less paperwork - I have an extended warentee with a deductable of $200 on my truck - Last time it was in they told me my bill was $234.00 I asked about the $34. and the told me that they were not submitting the job to insurance, because it was not worth the cost of the man hours to deal with and submitt the paper work. I told them I did not care what they submeitted, but I would be dam*ed if I was paying a dime more than $200. Then they tried to carge me tax on a deductable... has anyone ever heard of that. I paid sales tax when I bought the extended warentee, and I have never paid tax on an insurance ded. don't mean to hijack here but anybody ever experience that?

10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ford puts a bigger alternator or dual alternator depending on the model, Also they put heavier leafs on the front. I know this from buying my F-350 crewcab dually without the snowplow package. It was sitting on the lot when I needed a truck and liked it. Thought hell it is a 1 ton dually it shouldn't matter that it doesn't have the snowplow package. Well I had to add leafs upfront and change the altanator scince it couldn't keep it up. Needless to say it would have been cheaper to find one with it or ordered one and checked the box.

I looked at the XT model. It tappers up from the center of the V instead of being straight across. I was told by the Boss dealer in my area that it throws the snow up higher and windrows it farther. I was also told that you can't add wings to this plow like the standard V plow. Not saying that I know anything just reflecting what my dealer told me.

11. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go without the XT model simply because the dealer doesn't have it in stock. If i were to want it, i would have to pay the freight fee to have that model. I think the Superduty will do me well. I'll hope to have it by next week, if not the following week.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just a note:

When Petr was referring to possibly purchasing the XT model over the super duty model he was referring to the straight blades..not V's.

You can however run the aftermarket style wings on the XT straight's. Their a little small for them, but do work.