1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i getting a deal?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, May 26, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so im in the market for a few "pre-owned" haha trucks, expanding the fleet i cant afford to buy new at this time

i came across a 94 dodge ram , 2500, 4x4, cummis, with 8 foot western uni

the good side, new trans last year, new turbo last year, white and matches the my current dodges, body is in good shape considering the age

the bad 180k miles, bed and fenders have the begining of rust around them, still can be fixed (i have 2 other trucks that are getting painted this year already) , needs tires, and needs possibly a fuel shutdown solinoid? or maybe a relay ? - easy fix

runs good, drives good asking price $4500, localy in my area, i think he might bite at $4000, cash?

so is it a good deal, or too old, too many miles for the money? i am keeping in mind, that the plow is worth $1200? so that means i am buying the truck for $2800- is this a deal?
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds good to me.
    I was always told a good working four wheel drive was worth $2500.
    I know of a few dodge diesels pushing the 275K mark.
    Plenty left on the engind if taken care of properly....
  3. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

You should buy it. My 94 Dodge 2500 Cummins has 337,385 miles. Don't let the miles scare you.
  4. RollinCoalCTD

RollinCoalCTD Junior Member

good deal buy her
  5. RollinCoalCTD

RollinCoalCTD Junior Member

there are guys on cummins forum that have 700k+ miles with no rebuilds. only thing you have to do is a KDP kit, which is $52 and about 4-6 hours of your time, and eventually a built trans if its an auto, or a nice clutch if its a stick
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

kdp kit? im not sure what that is?
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

KDP= Killer Dowel Pin

One of the few flaws in the Cummins engines. Thankfully it is a preventable issue. If you look around a bit online I'm sure you'll find all kinds of reading on the issue.

Really only three common issues with the Cummins. The KDP as mentioned, an occasional head gasket now and then and also common to the Dodge trucks with the Cummins is the lift pump failing and wiping out the injector pump.
  8. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

It does sound like a good buy, but truck prices are falling like rocks. Especially the diesels, at $5 a gallon. it should be a buyer's market for a while.

I agreethe Cummmins is a great motor. The lift pump is not a nissue on the 94; I don't think the dowel is either but I could be wrong on that.
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

hey thanks for the input guys,,, ill be sure to look up those parts,

I bought it, $4000 with the 8 foot western pro

so fare, i have replaced the batteries, optimums

also the fuel shut down solenoid , was not shutting down, so a little oil and a small bungee cord, till i get into tearing it down to look at it, till then starts and shuts down fine now

something is up with the stater system, may not be the started, if i direct jump the solenoid it stats up no problem, but it only has this issue 1 of 50 starts, other wise 98% it fires right up,...again something to look into

plows in great shape, even just painted, works fine

drives straight, breaks straight, runs smoother than my 96 ctd
  10. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Congrats. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Starter sounds like it could be an ignition switch or neutral safety switch.
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

yeah thats what i think as well, or a relay,..something simple, it just doenst have the symptoms of a starter gone bad