1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I getting a deal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RB, Feb 23, 2002.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I've always bought new trucks and I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I think I stumbled across a deal.

An old neighbor of mine asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a used truck, a 1987 Chev. 20 Scottsdale, 4wd, auto, 8,400 mi. (that is correct 8,400 mi). He told me that it has been sitting in the garage for about the last 5 years, but he occassionally starts it. He also told me he doesn't think he has ever put it into 4wd. I started it right up, didn't drive it, but it seemed to go into 4wd easy.

It's very clean w/the exception of a few rusts spots. He asked me what I thought he could get for it. He's a nice old guy (about 85 y/o). He then told me he would probably give it away if he knew anyone who could use it (I wanted to drive it home).

I thought that $3,500 might be a good and fair price?

Is the 20 Scottsdale a 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

Is there any spots that I should check for rusting underneath the truck?

Could I use this truck for plowing -- maybe put a small v on it and v box?

As I mentioned I don't know much about trucks so I wasn't able to tell what kind of engine and the old guy didn't know either. Where will the engine size be located? He said he thinks it was an old 350? sounds right??

Any thing else I should be looking at in this truck?

All help will be appreciated!

Ron

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Most likely trouble spots for rusting underneath will likely be the forward cab mounts and fender attachment points, as well as the rocker and corner areas.

20 series truck is a 3/4 ton, while Scottsdale is a trim level.

Yes, I feel it would be a good plow truck - "plowjockey" who is a member here has something very similar, an '85 GMC 3/4 ton and it's been a good truck for him. Not sure about the V-plow/V-box combination though, I think that might be a bit much for a 3/4 ton.

Check for a sticker near the hood latch area (on top of the radiator support) which should have emission control info and the engine size listed. 5.0 litre is a 305, 5.7 litre is a 350. There's a good chance that truck has a 350 in it.

Now, why can't I stumble across deals like that? :(

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

So it must be a K20 wich means 4wd 3/4 ton 8,600lb GVW the only rust spots that I know of would be behind the tire in the wheel well area and maybe cab suports but if it's been inside should be none at all with 8,400 miles.Yes you can plow with it and put a v box on the back and it most likely has the 350.what a good deal hard to find the old chevies like that with that kinda millage on them plus it has leaf springs in front which is great.wish I could find that in a 1 ton diesel dump.

4. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Ditto thr other responses.

We just bought an 87 K20 with a front and back blade on it with about 60K miles on it. The thing plows great.

As far as the engine size, the way to be sure is count to the 8th digit on the V.I.N. number. If it is a "K" you've got a 350. (I forgot what the code is for a 305...) Also, check the GVW on the build tag on the door jamb. They did make heavy duty versions of this truck.

5. RB

RB Senior Member

Rob and Cat.

thanx

Ron

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 8th Vincode for a 305 is H,for the low output,and G for the Hi output 305.it could have a 454 in it also,although it isnt likey,that truck sounds the a good find for a 73-87 lover who knmows those trucks well,for the average guy it may be a little old,although it has low miles,time does just as much damage as miles sometimes.

7. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

didn't they also make a 7200 GVW K20 that year?

8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

oh and weren't 87's R & V series trucks?

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The only "downfall" to the deal I see is the TBI, and on board computer. Remember, it's all 15 years old, and nothing is worse than letting a vehicle sit a lot. I bet the tires have flat spots on them. Mine did when I bought a truck that sat a lot. Sounds like a good deal. Funny, a few years ago, $2500 would be a more fitting price, but with the new truck craze, 10 year old trucks, 1500's even, are selling for $10K, with no plow. I guess only having 8,700 miles on it is a REAL exceptional find though. I bet the interior is mint.

At least 87 is the most perfected year for the 73 - 87 run. Some parts are still readily available from your local GM dealer too.

If cab mounts are really rusted, you can tell without even looking under the truck. If the body line doesn't match up where the bed meets the cab, that's an indication of a body mount sagging (or colapsing from rust)

Check the options decal in the glove box. Check the decal on the driver's door to see what the GVWR is. You can check the gas cap. If there is no little door limiting the truck to unleaded, then you have an HD Emissions truck there.

The 3/4 tons ranged from 6,800 - 8,600 GVWR. The HD Emissions trucks having the 8,600 rating, and no catalytic converters.
    Even if you put a $1000 into the truck, you'd have one dependable rig.

Definitely a sweet find RB.

~Chuck

10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

To the best of my knowledge, and according to the parts catalogues I have on the shelf, in '87 the trucks were still designated "C" for 2wd and "K" for 4wd.

In '88 when the "jellybeans" arrived, the C/K designation shifted to trucks with that body style and that's when "R" for 2wd and "V" for 4wd came into being for trucks that still used the older body style - Blazer/Suburban, some crewcabs and the C & C trucks. That lasted until around '90 or so when the last of the old style bodies were built.

11. RB

RB Senior Member

Chuck and everyone -- Thank you!

Now that was some serious Chevy info!! If I get the truck I post some pics.

Thanx again.

Ron

12. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Like Rob said I love my 85. If all is as it seems jump on it.

Bruce

13. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Actaully Rob:
    "1987 - The last year of this body and chassis style for the pick up line. The Suburban and Blazers used the same design until 1991. The 4wd designation of "K" was replaced with "V". The 2wd "C" was replaced with "R". All engines were now fuel injected via Throttle Body Injection (TBI). The ignition system was now computer controlled. "

We actaully had the C/K debate once before. I know I posted the exact years of the R and V.

~Chuck

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id consider the TBI a plus,and the 87 the best of them all because if i,its very trouble free,and very simple.The engine is easy to work on,unlike the mid eightys carb models, with tons of AIR plumbing,and a mess of emissions hoses.The power and drivabitly of the 350 EFi is much better too.The biggest poblems they have is fuel pumps,which arent to common.

15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

John, I agree. The reason I was saying "downfall", is that due to it being the only year with TBI and a computer, you are limited somewhat as far as parts interchangability. A perfect example is a normal carb. IF the truck was an 83, and it had carb troubles, you could swap on another used one off another 73 - 86 GM. I mean I have 3 spare carbs in my garage, they would fit my 77, or my 80, but they would not work with the 87 TBI obviously. In fact my 80 has a 2 bbl carb and manifold off a late 60's or early 70's GM. It was on there when I bought it, and 7 years later the truck runs fine. I have the original 4bbl and manifold, and figured I'd rebuild the carb, but never had a reason to. Getting off topic here.

As was said many times RB, don't pass up this deal.

~Chuck

16. RB

RB Senior Member

Thanx again everyone. I took it for a test drive today. Whoever said the tires would have flat spots were right. And for 8,400 miles it didn't drive as "new" as I thought it would drive (it was still pretty good w/a lot of power). I only drove it for about 2 miles, but it seemed to "miss" immediately after I put my foot on the gas pedal. It also had a few more rust spots that I didn't notice before. The cab supports were not rusted. Just a little rust on the rocker and some corners. I don't know much about body work, but I don't think they are major fixes. I guess I'll soon find out.

When I looked at the vin. the 8th letter was "K" so as someone said it's a 350. It also has dual gas tanks. I forgot to check if it had AC, but I doubt it.

When I told my neighbor (I didn't know he had this truck for the last 7 years because he never had it out) I wanted it he seemed surprised. I told him I hope he doesn't get offended but all I could give him was $2,500 and I told him he could probably get a little more if he advertised. He said he felt offended because I have been a good neighbor and he would not feel right asking that much for a truck. He said he would not take a penny more than $1,000 for it. I never wrote a check that fast in my life. He seemed happy to sell it to me and I told him I'd take good care of it.

Well when I start working on it I know where to go for some expert advise. I would be particularlly interested in talking to someone who knows where I can get parts for this truck.

I'll keep ya posted and I appreciate all your advise.

Thanx.
    Ron

17. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Great score! Glad it worked out for you. Look at it this way: now you have a $1500 budget to get things running back how they should. Keep us posted and send the photos when they're ready!

Marcus

18. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

WAY TO GO RON!!!!!

As they say "You da Man"

Congratulations on your new project and have a lot of fun wiht it.

Bruce

19. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I love dealing with guys like that. I had an elderly neighbor that I used to mow his lawn for him. He would give my a $5 bill everytime I mowed it... one week I went up to mow it and I saw this little sign propped up against a tree in front of the house that said " tractor for sale" so when I was done mowing i asked him about it and he said he wated $900 for it. I called my dad at work and told him and said to go back and tell him we'll take it. so I went back and he said well since you want it I'll take $800. That was the best deal I had ever found on a Ford tractor. and the best part is I now have the very tractor that I learned to drive on when I was a kid.

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Ron great deal good luck with it they are a good truck the old k style.