1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i doing it wrong

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Dec 13, 2010.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

am i letting the plow down too far?

the plow pushes down and forward quite a bit. the way its designed, but its staying down (driveways)

am i only supposed to lower it till it hits the ground with a little pressure, rather than all of the way down?

2. leon

leon Senior Member

plow

You can not scrape effectively if it is not in float.

3. birddseedd

well, one driveway i didnt seem to scrape at all, there was some ice but it didnt scrape at all, there was loose snow.

the next one i pushed half of the dirt back to the end of the drive. the whole time the plow was tipped way forward.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

plow

If you dont use or have skid pads properly set your doomed.

5. birddseedd

what is a skid pad? i have (not installed) plow shoes.

6. snowtech

snowtech Member

sounds like you are trying to plow gravel. if so you will want to set your shoes lower than the cutting edge on the plow. you wont be able to scrape clean but will help not trip the blade as much

7. birddseedd

the front half where they park plowed great, but the back where there wasent any packed snow is where it got the dirt.

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

You might also want to check the tension on the trip springs. Also, if you're plowing a gravel or dirt driveway, you can drop the plow all the way (float) then bump it up a little to keep the cutting edge just off the ground. Keep your hand on the control and adjust the heigh as necessary to scrape as close as you can without digging in.

9. birddseedd

im thinking ill just use shoes on the dirt ones till they harden over, but what concerns me is when the plow tipped forward, it did not bounce back up, it just stayed forward while i was plowing.

could the tension bee too loose. if so how do i know how tight to make it?

10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Tighten the trip springs until you can fit a dollar between the coils of the springs

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is your A frame level? if the truck end of the Aframe is too high the blade will trip very easily

12. birddseedd

not sure about the a frame, but the springs have a visable gap in between the coils, does this mean i need new springs?

when it "trips" i guess its called, it feels as if the truck is holding it down, if i lif the plow, it pops back up.

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Its just early in the season and the ground isn't frozen yet. Raise the plow very slightly on this softer surface so you're scraping the bulk of the snow off and the problem will vanish in a week or so when the ground freezes for the season.

Plow shoes are not required to plow dirt or gravel driveways...been using my 8' Fisher to plow my dirt/gravel driveway for years...first time it always digs in for a few feet in the loose spots until I remember to hit the lift slighty in those spots.

It would help if we knew more about your setup. We don't know what you're driving or what your plow is.

14. birddseedd

hehe. ya. its complicated.

but basicially,
    04 ram
    meyer UC
    western plow 3" short of 8 foot
    basicially no edge (getting new one soon
    lift frame from a real freakin old western
    western pump with a motor that doesent fit quite right.

15. birddseedd

i did notice it doing it some on a cement driveway also. but not as much.

16. birddseedd

will replacing the old springs make a difference?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes and so will replacing the cutting edge.

18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Again, what are you using for equipment?

Re-reading I'm getting the impression your plow is flopping over forward and staying down?

Is your plow properly installed on your vehicle? Have you used this setup before successfully or is this new to you?

19. birddseedd

its a cobbled together mess.

20. birddseedd

im pretty sure it is the springs. there is a pretty big gap inbetween the coils. it may also need another spring as the plow was moded to be a half of a foot bigger.

ill start with a new edge and 2 new springs. if it still does it ill get a 3rd spring