1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowguy43, Dec 22, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

For considering a 2003 chevy 2500 HD crew cab short bed 6.0 gas with a MM2 setup (minus the plow) that has 99k miles for $11000??? That is the asking price at the dealer, not what I've negotiated. It has a clean 2 owner carfax and 1 owner had it for 90 percent of its life and carfax shows good maint records. Truck needs balljoints to pass inspection that's it. Crazy?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd probably offer 8G or so.....

3. plowguy43

That's what I'm thinking. Its a nice looking truck and miles really rack up here in Maine since nothing is close by. I'm going back tomorrow to take it for a spin to see if it runs/shifts well.

4. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I think you can maybe get it for 10k. I think at 8k there going to think your a tire kicker. Unless you have 8k in cash you lay on the table. 9500. is problably the best they will do. I have a friend in sales and he said there are more people that come in and not negotiate just fall in love and buy! Alot of dealerships since cash for clunkers are holding out for top dollor since people are not tradeing like they used too. I think even at 11000 that really not a bad deal. A guy i used to sub with had one he traded it with 189000 plowed every year and had no major problems. If anything i would have them fix the frontend and alighnment. Is the truck at, like, Bill Dodges wholesale to the public?

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Last winter I got my 01 CC GMC with a Curtis plow for 11250 and I thought that was a great deal, with 89k miles. Mine has leather and everything too....Anyway I think the price is alright but I would negotiate around 9500 since you need to find a plow. Trucks up here a pricey and its hard to find the right one. Make sure that is the right one. I put a few things into mine but at 110k miles she is running great.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

3 years ago I bought my 2000 Siverado 2500 (nbs, ecsb, heated leather, etc) for $12000 without a plow. 91,000 miles. It was a good price at the time, couldn't find anything comparable in a 60 mile radius. Just turned 126,000 the other day. Needed a fuel pump because I neglected to change the fuel filter, other than that its been strictly wear and tear...tires, oil, brakes are aout due, front wheel bearings starting to growl on me, rear steel brake lines rotted out on me...overall its been an excellent vehicle and among the most reliable I've owned.

Added my own fisher 8' MM1 for another $2500.

I'd say walk in with 10 large in cash. Check out the truck thoroughly and if you like it, drop the wad on the desk adn tell the saleman its the out the door price.

7. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

money talks payup

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

10 grand cash? They would be all over a 10K offer and jump through every hoop in the book.

9. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Or you could say $9500 have Repoman haul it to your mechanic or your house do the balljoints and go get a sticker!

10. plowguy43

No its at Rowe Ford Wholesale to the public. I'd actually rather do the repairs myself so I can put better parts in and make sure its done right. I'll be trading my truck in as well so plopping cash down for the remainder shouldn't be an issue. Your right about cash for clunkers, Low mileage used trucks are going for close to what new trucks are going for with rebates.

My only concern is really the mileage and having a plow already but at the same time it would help kill downtime since I already have a Minute Mount plow that I could just rewire to a 3 plug system (The Chevy still has all of the wiring/iso module in it along with push plates). My truck currently has 77k miles and its going to be hard to justify to the wife that I want a bigger truck with more miles on it haha. But I barely drive the truck except for plowing and dump runs on the weekend so I don't really care since it'll be paid off. hmmm

11. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

If it helps with local comparison, I bought a 2005 Chevy 2500 6.0L ext cab with 132k in October here in Maine. Dealer was asking $14k, I paid $10,400. It was a one owner, never plowed with. It was owned locally by a family that hauled a single horsebox for their daughter's competition horse, hence the high mileage as they went out west several times a year. The body wasn't in the best shape; it had dings and scratches, and it had a fifth wheel tailgate and the hitch still installed in the bed. I did have to put new tires on it; the dealer should never have stickered it with the existing tires. But I used it as a bargaining chip as I didn't want him to throw on a set of no-name tires just to make me happy.

Originally, I was shopping local junkyards for a replacement tailgate until I realized how useful a see through tailgate is for plowing. Also, I removed the fifth wheel hitch. If I had known how heavy the base plate was, I would have left it there and cut off the ball. It would have made great, low profile ballast right over the rear axle.

12. plowguy43

Ok I just drove it. It runs mint, shiftd great and all of the buttons work inside. I have the list of what needs to be fixed to pass inspection- inner tie rod, pitman arm,and idler arm plus some lights. BUT the previous owner cam back and removed all of the plow parts wiring and all.

I probably won't buy because of that but I am definitely going to get a chevy/GMC when I purchase I just love the ride and the drivetrain.

13. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Lowball them at 7500 now that you need to replace the plow and fix all that stuff. Why any dealer wouldnt make it inspectable anyway is beyond me. Isnt there rules about that?

14. plowguy43

In Maine a dealer can sell vehicles as is through a wholesale outlet without a sticker. Its kinda what you get when you look there. I'm still thinking it over since I'm finding pushplates everywhere on craigslist and my truckside wiring will swap over easy.

15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Looks like you've got some great bargaining chips there. You can cry about how much you needed those plow mounts even though it's not that big of deal. You might want to think twice about running that 7.5 plow on this size of vehicle though... Since you are looking at trading in, the true value is going to get hidden in the smoke-n-mirrors of trade-in value vs fair market value. The dealers have decades of experience with presenting numbers so it looks better than it is! If it was me, I'd sell the other truck privately and then walk in with cash. You don't HAVE to buy this particular truck. There will be others if you miss this one. The worst mistake you can make when dealing with a dealer is allowing yourself to fall into the "I GOTTA HAVE THIS ONE" mindset.

16. plowguy43

Very true which is why I'm thinking it over. There is no way I can sell my truck I time ad honestly don't want to. I'm not worried about dealing with a trade in, my father has been in the car business his entire life and I'm currently in it myself. The 7.5 footer will do for now but I'm looking for an 8' blade to buy for it or possibly just some wings. Thanks for the advise though, its all very true.

17. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

You drive from Otisfield to Portland? thats a hell of a trip everyday!

18. plowguy43

You think that's bad, I was just promoted back to Portland. From May to late November I drove to Manchester New Hampshire Everyday- 2 hours 15 minutes each way. I'd wake up at 4am, be on the road by 430, get to work around 7am work until 5pm then get home around 730pm! In this economy you can't turn down ANY promotions that pay more!

19. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

yup thats a hell of a trip! I on occation i do work in the Manchvegas area! Wife is from that neck of the woods! Well I wish the best of luck in your search. It took me 3 months. to get my truck a year and half ago. Are you a mechanic or salseman?

20. plowguy43

I'm a repair supervisor and shop Manager for a large fleet company in New Hampshire and Maine. Have a great holiday!