1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by jkrezdorn, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Here are a few pictures from our Storage facility and a competitor about ten miles away. I clear door to door. It may not be the first day but within a few days I am clear. My dad is a truck driver and tells me I am crazy to do what I do. He sees facilities that clear a path down the isle and let the customer fend for themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got one that I do that doesn't come out quite as good as yours, but much better than your competitor's. The difference between mine and yours is that on mine, the drives are asphalt, but there is a raised concrete foundation that comes out about two feet in front of the doors. So, I run my blade on the asphalt along the edge of the concrete and the little bit that's left on the raised concrete stays there. I'll have to get a pic next time I'm out.

3. JustJeff

And come to think of it, that's probably my least favorite place on my route. Mine has three runs that are probably 500 feet long, and that's a long way to carry snow.

4. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

My drives are 300 feet and that seems like a lot of snow. I have been known to nick the door jamb with the blade. I still get customer that complain about shoveling that 4 inches of snow in front of their door. I help if I am there. I always think parking lots and driveways would be much easier. Grass is always greener ehh.

5. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

crazy

I have one like yours, and I plow it like you do. They have concrete deals that the downspouts empty into that are aboot 3' long, so I have to swerve around them. The owner does want us to periodically shovel out the doors for the renters. We haven't done it yet this year, less then a foot of snow so far and it's 43 degrees today.

So this seems like a good place for this question.

HOW FAST DO YOU DRIVE WHEN YOU BACK UP ON THESE LONG RUNS?

6. JustJeff

If they would have laid the asphalt thicker and level with the concrete foundations I would plow closer as well. I rarely back up doing the storage facility. It's faster for me to turn and drive back down one of the lanes and then come back to the same lane again. My reverse gear whines like a b**** at higher speeds.

7. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

experimenting

I am experimenting with different ways to see which gets me done faster, now that we have established a base line price per push.

caught myself doing 30 mph on one pass, decided that was really dangerous. It was at night and nobody was around there, but not worth the risk.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you get premium pay then you do a premium job!

9. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

That is how I got my storage facility account. The guy that was plowing it before me was leaving between 12-18" unplowed along the front of the units. I said I would get less than 12" and did. They were very happy with my work, however I insisted on a 2" trigger citing that as the industry standard. Unfortunately, the tightwad owner wanted a 3" trigger and when it came time to resign this season, he insisted on 3" and I wouldn't budge, so I lost it.

10. JustJeff

I don't know about a 2" standard. Most of our accounts are zero tolerance. But my one storage facility is a 2" trigger.

11. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I think the standard is quickly moving to zero tolerance and that makes me happy because there isn't the well there's an inch and a half and I'm not supposed to plow it but if I just salt it I'm gonna use a crap ton.
    Looks nice, we dont go after these, majority of the ones around here are run down and cheap. No money in them for the work they require around here

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It could be the other storage facility only wants a single pass through the isle's. If the OP use to do the facility he may have some insight as to what they require for service.
    I lost a lot this year that I've plowed for a couple years due to price. I never raised my rate and figure a plow for beer guy low balled me. The first snow of the year it was very apparent the property mgr was looking for the lowest bidder and didn't care about quality. The new guys aren't pulling any snow out of the corners in the lot or relocating snow into a couple spots that I was told to stack. Instead they're just pushing snow and putting it wherever they want which is resulting in lose of parking spaces and melt refreeze issued. They even stack snow in the handicap spots and there's not access to the ramp in the curb.

13. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

We plow one small storage facility. We try to get as close to the doors as you do, and we leave alittle in front of each door , I would like to shovel in front of each one, but don't have the time. On residential driveways we allways shovel in front of there doors.

14. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

I am the Facility owner. I meant the other facility owner. I only plow my facility my driveway and daughters driveway. Take a look at the facility from Google earth. DAK Self Storage 25 Peach Street, Leesport, PA 19533. I use the name as we have two 25 peach sts in leesport. Customers that use eyephone to find us always end up at the other one in a housing development.
    The issue with plowing a Storage facility is that it's fenced in and you run out of room. I keep the plow mounted and plow a little at a time into the drived to melt.
    After plowing on Sunday, I cam to the facility only to find a customer had a tractor trailer delivery. I tuned up the edges and the Canadian driver told me it was one of the cleanest and easiest to get in he has ever seen this soon after a storm Thumbs Up

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So you own the storage lot, and are on here bragging how close to the doors you get while another place doesn't get it as clean? That what your getting at? Then posting your blog about it?

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since it's your place time/labor isn't a issue, you can do the detail work that most contractors would prefer to do but don't due to customers not having the budget to pay for it.
    Your lot was cleared off and look good, to compare it to the other lot is ridiculous and egotistical.

:popcorn::popcorn:

17. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Time and Labor isn't an issue???? What do you do for a living? Do you like to be paid for what you do? I certainly do. I would much rather sit at home with the grandchildren and build snow forts.

My time is just as valuable as anyone else. I blocked it out on the other pictures. But the other place is a Rental place and has more equipment than you and I do to clear snow. I guess time and labor not an issue for them either.

Seems egotistical to suggest your time is worth more than my time. Every time I mount that plow it cost me not only time, but wear and tear on equipment. Sorry you did not like the blog post. Again I wrote that several years ago and thought others that plow could appreciate it.

I did not come here to argue with people. I thought it would a place for chatting with other like minded folks. May not be the case though?

Sorry I don't make any money while doing this. I guess that is what the site is for, the "Professionals" that get paid to plow.
    If so I can leave. No skin off my A$$.

If you read my post you would see that facility is not the only one to do that.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

2 other drives right?

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I sell services that time and materials dictate the rate. You have 2 property's to take care of while snow removal contractors have dozens or hundreds. There's a huge difference between maintaining your own property's than doing it as a business, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
    As I said before your lot looks good, if you took offense to my other comments then so be it.

20. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

If you can get your customers to sign for and pay for zero tolerance, than more power to you. From what I have read in here, it's my understanding that the east coast is pretty litigious when it comes to S&F's (more so than here in the Midwest anyways) so that may be the trend out there. I have several new perspective clients every year that request bids for 3" and up. If I can't get them to drop to 2", I move on. A vast majority of our storms fall into the 2-5" depths. I have one (out of 9) accounts with a 1" trigger, because the only entrance/exit into the lot is a sloped drive down into the lot. So if they have too deep of snow, they get down in, but can't get out at the end of the day.