1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am i crazy or are people just cheap

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplower1, Feb 3, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

So i had a few calls yesterday during the snowstorm asking to have their driveway done. now when its the middle of a snowstorm and someone wants a driveway done i always charge a good bunch more than i would for one trip in a regular customer and i told one lady usually for a driveway her size i would have to charge around 40-50 and she goes oh wow okay, have a nice day...

another guy walks over by me while plowing a neighbor and asks how much to plow his driveway and i thought i was being nice by pricing it at 40 because it was a 2 car driveway but it was fairly longer. mind you, there was upwards of around 18 inches of snow so it coulda taken more a while

2. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Got to love Rochester, Two people walked up to me and offered $15 to do the same. I used to shovel driveway's for more then that in the 80's when I was a kid.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

every snow over a foot I get 1 time plow calls,always say no to them.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Me to.. they only call if there is a foot of snow.

5. snowplower1

i tell them i wont be able to do it until the snow stops but hey if i can make $40 and only have to stay up another few minutes im okay with that. but im not okay with being sleep deprived already and doing something that im not walking away with a nice bunch of change in my pocket

6. snowplower1

$15?? id just start laughing. i might spend a quarter of that just in gas with my truck lol that dang thing sucks gas so fast.

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

$200. minimum for any non customers... making some fat cash today...

8. snowplower1

200???? if i could get that i would be going crazy. around here i probably couldn't get someone to agree to that even if they were rich and had a super long driveway

9. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Must be a big difference between Illinois and Rochester NY, no one here wants to pay for anything.

10. snowplower1

this just made me reconsider whether i really wanna add a crew for resis next year. the only way it could be worth it for us at the prices i hear around here will be if the plower can do like 30 places in an hour

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal contracts in Rochester 150.00

12. snowplower1

that would mean i am plowing for 5$ each time...
    i get mad at my dad when he tells a friend he'll do it for the year for 250 or 300 because all it does is slow him down and make him late for the important customers.

if i do try for resis im only doing per trip with a minimum of somewhere around $15 or 20. and that is even probably lowballing it

13. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

snowplower1- No idea what part of Rochester you're in but I can tell you on the west side (Gates, Ogden, Chili etc...) that there's no shortage of guys willing to do unlimited trip resi seasonal deals in the $150-$175 range.

I, however, am not one of them.

14. snowplower1

im located in brockport just by you. i'm glad i dont do resis. i was plowing a friends drive yesterday just thinking how much i hate driveways. days like yesterday i had so much fun plowing my lots especially with the dxt i had snow being thrown so far off the plow it looked awesome. i wish my dash cam had been working, had some cool looking moments

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

There's still people who's driveways aren't cleared yet? How much snow did you guy's get?

16. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I get this all the time as well... I had a guy tell me we make to much profit removing snow... Well DUH

Gotta remember fuel costs repairs insurance..... They dont understand that

17. snowplower1

how does one do this thing called too much profit, ive never heard...
    but seriously i hate when people who have no clue about the expenses it take just to operate a truck and then theres all your insurances and that stuff. it is so much more than just a truck and plow you gotta pay for.

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

WAIT! You guys actually get paid to do this? I knew I was doing something wrong...

Its the best when you get a call and they ask to be plowed out after a foot of snow. I tell them its $10. an inch. I've not gotten the job yet... ;-)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  19. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I'm doing it for the fun.

20. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

Beer money. I get thirsty plowing all night. :jester: