1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I charging too much?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by horizon jay, Oct 31, 2013.

1. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Am I crazy to think that the hotel on the left should be $130 (3/4 acre) per 2-4" and the one right (white roof) should be $150 (just shy of 1 acre) @ 2-4"?
    I try to maintain a $75 minimum on commercial lots. I have one thats pretty wide open and .35 acres and they dont mind paying $75 @ 2-4". I shoot for 1/2 acre or less at $75 (for commercial lots) and move up accordingly, 1 acre being $150.
    Residential drives are $35 minimum and up depending on details.
    Thoughts or ideas appreciated. Went from "send the bid over Ill call right back", to absolutely nothing so not sure whats happening. Im not trying to work for free but I am trying to work! Just plowing lot, no sidewalks, salt upon request.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

The thing is you have to price according to your market. Those rates won't fly in my neck of the woods.Your trying to get $150/hr for a plow truck. A loader with a 12' push box can't get that rate here.
    And btw, be careful what you wish for. Hotels are a pain in the butt. No where to put snow. Always being called back when cars leave.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Think base price be around 100 and go up from there.

Hotels suck a lot call backs I always have a call back price of 1/3 of the base price

My thinking don't pay anymore I have no hotels to clean I'm glad
  4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

If that hotel is like some of the hotels around here, good luck, they want to pay the least amount.
    Flat rate them for the season and forget about by the hour.
    If they are both owned by the same company, seperate the bids and then offer a 10% off price if you get both of them.
    Last thing, make sure you write it up in your contract that salting is only done if they want it. This reduces your liablity.
  5. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help! Maybe Im better off without em anyway. Would've been first hotel gig so if I dont get em, sounds like I wont miss em! Thanks