1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I charging enough?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gino, Nov 30, 2005.

1. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I am doing a few residential driveways right on my street and only charging $25.00 per/storm (2 pushes, 1 in morning and 1 at night). They are small two car driveways and easy to plow. Of course if there is a big storm I may charge 1 +1/2. Am I an idiot for pricing like this? I just figure, they are right here on my street! Or, should I be charging more?
    Thanks for any suggestions,
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're happy with it, that's what matters.
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

For people that call me during a storm and want their driveway plowed (non contracts) I charge between $20-25 per push.
  4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

They are right down the street from you and your comfortable with it then you are charging the right price. I get $30 in my area for the residents I plow if I get called during a storm for a new customer I get at least $40 for that drive and I tell them up front I am not responsible for any damage take it or leave it.
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

in my area the smallest drive is around 30 to 35, my av. is about 40 to 80 per drive as most drives are large..every one has their own way of charging, the way i do it , is with a 2 1/5 trigger, and up to 6 inches would be considered a push (or a plowing) after that once again its 2 1/5 to 6 and so on, this way im covered for the big storms... what i tell my clients is that i do not measure the snow in your drive, what ever they forcast in our area is what i charge, if after i plow once, if it continues to snow and i need to go back and clean up, its no charge, unless called by client!!!! and if we get 8 inches, im going to concider it as 6 unless its slush.......... make more.........i never tell them per storm!!! they try though..... i make myself clear for $30 i will not plow 18 inches of snow and beat my truck up for nothing!!!!!!!!! as for your case, try it this year,, and next year if your pricing didnt work for you, change it !!!! every one on this site is great!!!!! but remember that as far as pricing in concerned, its more or less what you need to get for your area.....but dont rule out advise im not telling you to do that , just not every price that we tell you,would work ...... take your time and you will learn ........ wish you well, stay safe.....
  6. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

If it's paying your bills and expenses then looks like your doing good. Assuming you have all the proper business/auto insurance, if you don't i'd say raise your prices some and make sure you cover yourself and everything you own.

If the drive is a short single or double car $25 seems reasonable "per push" but if its 1/4 mile long then i'd say your way low.

If i am reading that correct tho... $25 for 2 pushes 1 in the morning and 1 at night is $12.50 a push, I'd say thats low.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I agree, my pricing is per push and by the length of the drive, doesn't matter if they are neighbors or not, insurance, cost of truck and equipment is still there.
  8. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Well, when you put it like that it does sounds low. Thanks for the input.