1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I asking for trouble plowing with a Ranger?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jan 20, 2011.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have been plowing with a '02 2500HD with a Western Pro-Poly 8' blade for about 10 years no with no problems.

I am thinking about switching to a Ford Ranger and maybe a Boss Sport Duty 7'.

In the summer I tow a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance so I really don't need that much truck (2500HD) and the only time I need (??) it is in the winter which is not every day anyway.

I plow about 30 driveways and the Ranger would be more maneuverable and get better mileage. The HD SUCKS gas!!

But……….the 2500HD is made for plowing with the plow prep, oil cooler, trans cooler, trans temp gage etc. and the Ranger isn't exactly made for plowing.

I know a lot of you use them and say they are great but around here I see 99% full size pick-ups and about 1% Jeeps………no Rangers. Is that telling me something?

Enough rambling for now, thanks for any opinions.

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think you may be able to do it but you will be doing things you used to do in your heavy truck and realize you cant do them as easily in the lighter truck. Right now you are used to having the weight advantage. That is gonna go away when you get the ranger.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine with the ranger doing driveways. I would't go out and try to land any commercial lots with it, but drives will be fine. Just make sure to push with the storm, don't wait till it's done snowing and try to push 6 inches of snow. Don't forget to add plenty of ballast to maintain as much traction as possible.

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Do not use a ranger for driveways except if you have downpressure!!! We have two rangers with small blizzard blades and it took forever to do resi's with them. Way to much floating.

Having a blade with weight is what it is all about for backdragging.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

as long as you keep up with the storm and dont try to push too much snow you should be fine

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

like I said, it isn't worth it.

We only use ours for forward pushing, and they are great at that.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

put a sno-way with DP on it and have fun plowing