1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am I a Sub or an Employee...Help Please!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by golfprojp, Nov 13, 2011.

1. golfprojp

golfprojp Junior Member

Hi guys I have a situation here, I have never plowed before but have been offered a job plowing for a local landscape company for approx $20 hourly driving their truck. I have winters off as I manage a golf course and this would be great additional income. My question is this: If I drive the company truck do I need any additional insurance other than my auto policy? Also, the company may want to pay me with checks written to my construction company..I started a GC business this year to be able to do a few roofing projects for referral business from when I was a storm chaser over the past few years. If he pays my company, I would have to be sure to beef up my GL policy(currently 500/500) and would I still have to get Commercial auto policy as well if I am driving his vehicles?

Sorry to be long-winded but a little worried. I prefer to be paid as an employee and have taxes taken out but they would rather 1099 me. Thank you in advance for any help! I have also considered buying a vehicle but monthly payments with insurance and truck and plow may have me working for peanuts....:confused:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Their truck you work for them.

3. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

^^^ what he said

4. golfprojp

golfprojp Junior Member

Thanks guy's this is what I thought.

5. golfprojp

golfprojp Junior Member

Spucel, is this a decent rate in our market...I will be working Lombard and Naperville area mostly.

6. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

^^agreed. You drive their truck and they tell you when to work you are an employee. Their truck their insurance. As an employee you shouldn't have to do anything but show up and do as instructed.

7. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Any experience?

8. golfprojp

golfprojp Junior Member

I have plowed the golf course lots and few others but they are wide open, by no means the same as the residential apt complexs I will see this winter.

9. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

$20.00 a hour in someone elses truck in our market isnt bad at all. Thats what I pay my guy when Im at work.

10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Their truck their insurance.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Here's the kicker though, they want to pay his company, not him.

Yes he doesn't need more insurance to run the truck, but he would still be considered a sub-contractor if he isn't on the payroll and gets a 1099 at the end of the year.

So, he would be contracted labor driving their truck, but would still be his own boss. So ultimately he doesn't necessarily work for them.

12. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you really need to read labor laws on employee vs sub contractor before it ends up costing you alot of money.

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

What do you mean. Anyone that works for me, that isn't a sub-contractor gets a W-4 and all taxes are taken out and paid.

I don't play the " I'll just give my helper a 1099 at the end of the year " game as that has gotten people in a lot of trouble around here.

14. second income

second income Member

They want to pay his "company" to save on workmans comp and gl if they are audited at the end of the year. So in order for that deal to work out, he will have to provide them with certificates showing same. If that in fact is the case then of course you would need more than $20.00 an hour. Take a 10-99 and be done with it it will be a lot less complicated./

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  15. grandview

If he wants to pay games,just throw cash at him from the petty cash account.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If you dont have ownership in the equipment, you would be a sub, nomatter how you slice it IMO. Dont mess with the KGB, i mean IRS, they will win every timepayup

17. second income

second income Member

Grandview has it right

18. grandview

I think you might also do a casual labor thing to,but I think the limit is 600.00

19. second income

second income Member

Casual labor will work out have the checks made out to a friend on occassion

20. ladder6

ladder6 Junior Member

Cash is king! Why make the check out to your company? This means a 1099 that you must claim. Save time and effort and work out a deal for cash driving his truck. The rate is fair and I am sure it's a win-win for you both!