1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Am going to join SIMA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Northland, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I am going to join SIMA and I was wondering why your guy's opinions are on the benefits of it. I know what the website says...but I want to know your side. The benefits of the : Discounts, training material, info, etc.

Let me know.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really, the best advise is to do a "search" using "SIMA" as the keyword. Many opinions and you should read them all, then make a decision if it might help you.

I used to be a member of SIMA and found it very helpful. My reason for not being a member now is strictly because of cost.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I can think of a lot better ways to spend money.

I did a lot of research on SIMA before making my desicion and this is my opinion only.

1. I have yet to meet a customer who knew of, been rejected by or in anyway have a customer tell me about SIMA in any way.

2. I grow every year in a small way and would not be willing to become a John Allin look what happened to him. I will stay small

3. Have attended the annual show a few times, been to others as well like Conex, you still see the equipment and meet people, I just avoid the classes and conferences.

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I think its worth it. I ve been a sima member for 3 years now and have already renewed for my fourth. They send a lot of good tips and if you go after big commercial accounts its nice to have to show professionalism and shows you want to learn and be smart in your field. I tell my clients I'm attending semianars and training events by SIMA to stay on top of the new methods and products in the industry.

5. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

It never, ever hurts to learn and stay up on the latest advances.

Just curious, what ever did happen to John Allin...?

6. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Listen the truth is customers don't give a sh.. if you are a sima member or a menza club member they only care about PRICE and if you can do the job .If you have the extra money and need a tax write off then join.I have been plowing for over 23 years without them and doing just fine..

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

If you think customers only think about the price, then maybe you should not educate yourself any further in business. If your customers feel that price is the only issue, maybe you should find different customers!

I don't go to the store or car dealership and buy the cheapest thing on the shelf or lot. I make my decisions on value and benefits to fit my needs and that is how I sell to my customers.

I am a life member and Board of Director for SIMA. If you would like to know more about SIMA feel free to call me anytime on my cell 845-629-2644 and I will tell you my experience.

Thank You and have a Great Winter!

8. ADLAWNCUTTERS

Please tell me if i am wrong , if any of guys signed up customers because you where a sima member please chime in.As for the last poster thank you for the advice,I don't think you can be objective being on the board of of sima.As i stated in my post you must be able to do the job. But price is what gets there attention in the bidding process.At least that is the why it is around the buffalo NY area. thanks for your time..

9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I just got a seasonal contract and wasn't the lowest bidder. I know there was three guys cheaper than me. In my sales pitch I include two SIMA brochures. I also explain SIMA to the customer and how it keeps me on top of the ever changing technology in the industry. I feel my membership with sima is what got me this job.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Was it sima, or are you getting better at selling?

This is snow removal not rocket science..
    changing technology?
    who reinvented the plow?
    and salt technology, lol what is old is new again....

If you lack the confidence to go it your self then maybe a crutch like sima is just the thing.

And for bids it is all you, be professional, now your business, be out going, clean,
    and willing to work with the client and you will do just fine with out sima.

I just do not see my self spending money on a support group..

.jmo:waving: save yourpayup

11. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

I wonder how many perspective clients check to see if you actually belong to these associations. You could literally tell them you belong to anything and how would they really know if you do.

As to whether it works or not, who knows? I would have to say that 99% of our commercial bids come down to price and that's all we do is commercial plowing. They all run the numbers and narrow it down to the cheapest guy they feel comfortable with. I understand that is not always how it works, everywhere, all the time, but for us, my area, our company, it comes down to low bid. The client does need to feel comfortable with their choice and you need to sell yourself and assure them you are competent to do the job.

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you can be objective being ignorant!

He's not trying to ram it down anybody's throat. If you don't like it don't join, but don't infer that it doesn't help if you have never tried it.

I personally belong to SIMA as well as all of the profesional Landscape associations in my area(ALCM,MNLA) and am certified in both(MCH & MCLP). I feel that hey have helped me a lot in my sucess and have made me better at what I do. Did they teach me everything I know, no but they help me to learn about things that affect me and my industry ahead of the curve. If you don't like being in something like that that's fine but don't knock something you haven't experienced that's all.

13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I agree with both sides of the story here. I push the fact that I have a degree in Horticulture/Landscape Contracting when bidding landscape work. But I really do agree that 90-95% of contracts are awarded based strictly on price.

The analogy of buying a car based on value, etc does not apply because once I decide I want a Brand X, I go from dealer to dealer and find the cheapest price in the area. I don't care about the awards that this dealer wins or the new showroom the other dealer has. All I care about is price and so does everybody else. All snow removal companies boast the same thing. I can clear your lot by 6am and so can the other guy. This dealer has the same car as the other dealer....so what does it come down to......PRICE.

Now, I think that the quality, professionalism etc is very important......to an extent. Just because I deliver my bid to the manager in a Polo shirt doesn't mean that my salt melts faster than the other guys salt, or that my company does a better job. It is VERY difficult, and sometimes comes off as either arrogant or annoying to the customer when you start blowing smoke about how your truck is newer, your equipment is better, your salt is treated and so on. When I try that approach, it seems like their eyes glaze over, and I think that people become annoyed. All they are waiting for is the PRICE!!

Don't get me wrong. I wish this was not the case because I work my ass off bidding work all year round. I am NEVER the cheap guy and that is the reason I have to work so hard bidding. I wish that credentials meant more than they do now. I have spent WAY more on a degree from Virginia Tech than I would spend in a lifetime of being a member of SIMA. Some people care that I have a degree in Horticulture, but it ALWAYS comes down to price. They either walk or try to beat me up on the price and frankly, it is tiring. If this is the case, why continue to spend money on things like SIMA and really not reap a strong reward from it.

That's all I have to say about that.

14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

SIMA is not a sales tool. It will not directly make you money. It is not somethinng that you join "to get my membersip $" worth of something.

You join SIMA for a lot of the same reasons that you join a site like this. For most everybody here it was to talk to other people with similar interests and passions and to further educate themselves and better themselves at their profession. It is kinda like being here but on a much higher level and without all the fighting and Bull that tends to flare up from time to time.

If you come to sites like this to fight and find the cheapest place to buy something.............SIMA isn't for you. If you come to sites like this to learn and better yourself and your business, give it a try. But don't slam it if you don't know squat about it or didn't give it a chance.

15. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Would someone tell me what SIMA is, and the details?
    Thanks
    Mike

16. ADLAWNCUTTERS

Maybe i am ignorant but if the guy is a board member he can't be objective. If a lawyer owns part of a company he tries to defend in court he can't be objective.I have never been a member of sima , i don't need it. I have never went down on the bishop but i know i would not like it . Sometime you have to make a judgement call. If someone needs advise they can get it here for free.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway? for the direct lift system w/ down pressure?
    Boss? for the V blade?
    Hinker? for C blade, scoop blade?

Or is this one of those trick questions:p LOL

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

http://www.sima.org/

19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Boss did not invent nor were they the first to market a v-plow.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It was a joke..lol
    wait ,,,,you mean the rest it true???