1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

am at a loss. is there a trick to installing springs?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 27, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i put the spring on. why the heck can i not get it off or back on again???

my plow could be all screwy, i dono. probably.

but my best guess is to remove all 4 springs, then at the time install all 4 at the same time. with the blade able to trip forward theres more room. they keep getting bound up, just not enough space in between the hole for the spring and the hole for the bolt...
  2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If memory serves me right, sometimes just tripping the blade forward against an immovable object will trip it enough to get the I bolt through...if I'm understanding what your saying.
  3. birddseedd

I thought about that. pushing it against a curb. but i dono. jsut doesnt feel safe to me???

anyone really do this?
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Guess I just like living life on the edge...The alternative is to loosen all springs & do them simultaneously.
  5. birddseedd

well. im thinkin of adding 2 more springs next year. if i do i think i will put a bar across the ribs closer to the top so it will be easier.

course what i dont get is... i got it on once... how couldent i not get it a 2nd time???

meh. dumb plow
  6. 86f350

86f350 Member

Ive never had that problem putting the 3 or 4 springs on. I just start all of them finger tight and then start cranking them down.
  7. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

they are troublesome...but either do all at once...or push up against a curb slightly and set you parking break...once finger tight...back truck up and tighten. had to help buddy change one in a parking lot during snow storm once....luckily for him i carry an extra in my toolbox
  8. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

Put all the bolts on the springs. Attach all the springs to the a-frame then put all the bolts through the holes in the plow at once. Never had a problem doing them all at once. Made a pretty neat tool for the mvp springs if anyone wants to see. pm me
  9. birddseedd

i think a few of us would like to see it