1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Always tie down the sander

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, May 6, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last night I decided I wanted to move the plow I had in the garage to another site for the summer. The sander was in the way so I put it on the 3500 to get to the plow. Since I just needed to turn around, I didn't bother hooking the corner straps figuring it weighed enough to keep it on the bed. Pulled out of the garage and started backing up. Looked in the mirror to see the front end of the sander in the air with the sander at a 45 degree angle to the flatbed. Stopped in time to watch it slide off onto the driveway. Fortunately, it didn't do much damage. Just bent one side of the guard around the spinner. Unfortunately, I had to call a wrecker to lift it back onto the truck. Nobody around here has a boom on their wrecker so had to call a guy three towns away - reverse payup .

What I didn't stop to think is that the engine hanging off the back of the truck makes up enough of the weight that it didn't take much to throw it off balance.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

And the moral of the story...ALWAYS use your bunjy cords when transporting high dollar equipment:D

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you would be surprised how much weight is there.well you know now.I would take my friends v box of one was at least a 2-3 ton one and the other was a 1 yarder .but to see it hang low on the one end and then when we would have to support in the off season .

4. Arc Burn

Well seriously,now that i think of it,i helped take a Fisher 1.8 yd gas drive sander off a truck this year and it's hanging from a overhead gantry type deal,anyways this thing hangs just the opposite:confused: ,when hooked to the factory lift point it's actually front heavy BIG time

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

the ones i've taken off were always ass heavy with the factory lift point.that is the one thing i always noticed sitting in the machine. one was an torwel the other and airflow.

6. Mick

from Maine

This is a two yard Fisher. It's very slightly front heavy when lifted by the lift hook. The wrecker driver was fumbling around trying to find a way to lift it (apparently he'd never lifted a sander before). When I told him him that was the center balance and was designed to lift it, he said "This is TOO easy".

Probably the easiest money he'd made in a while.

The night just got worse. Got the plow over where I wanted it and went to unhook. Lost my footing, slipped and split my head on the plow frame. Not bad, just enough to make it bleed a little and feel woozy for a couple of hours.

After all that, I decided I'd had enough fun for one night. Sat in the chair and watched television till time to go to bed. Way my luck was going, I hoped I didn't fall out of the chair:rolleyes: .

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mick, sorry to hear about that. It may be embrassing to you, but this information is very valuable to us and I am glad you did. This could have be worse, it could have fallen on someone and injury or kill them. Telling us your experience will help us learn to avoid and minimize potential accidents. I might be getting a sander this year, if not then next year. I will be sure to have it tied down properly and secured at all times.

Thanks Mick, for sharing your experience with us.

8. Mick

from Maine

wxmn6, you're welcome. Yes, I called myself eveything you can think of and probably some you haven't. It could have been a lot worse - like going down the road and falling off in traffic or like you said. It could have come straight down backwards on the motor.

It's really bad that I couldn't think if anyone to blame except myself. Maybe I can sue Fisher for not putting a warning label on it specific to strapping it down?:rolleyes: They've got a warning label for keeping your hands and feet away from the chain and spinner, not riding inside the box etc and every other obvious thing.

Actually, I remember seeing a guy standing in the box while going around a bank parking lot. He was using a bar apparently breaking up clumps.

9. Arc Burn

LOL Mick,I got a call this winter to cut a shovel out from the FRONT of a sander!It had gotten clogged up towards the front so one of the guys jumped out,grabbed a shovel(with the unit stlli running) proceeded to break the frozen sand loose with the shovel,right up to the point were the chain grabbed the shovel and wadded it up into a pretzel:D

I pretty much guessed out the whole scenario because i wasn't about to ask and listen to some story about how it wasn't his fault:rolleyes: