1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum Vs. Steel Dump Insert

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Long story short, it looks like i'm keep my 97 for a bit longer due to several issues in finding and financially securing a dump truck at this time. Instead for the time being i'm looking for a dump insert for the truck. I have found a steel and an aluminum truckcraft, both used and both with good prices on them. I will more than likely look at both this weekend. Is there any downsides to the aluminum one other than if i wanted to weld something to it it would have to be aluminum and i would have to TIG it on there? I think i'll be bringing one home this weekend regardless of what i choose but i just wanted to get some ideas on this before i start driving around!

Thanks guys,

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Well aluminum or stainless would be nice you could always through a spreader on the back to spread bulk and obviously less rust issues. just a thought I never owned an insert though

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You'll never regret buying an aluminum truckcraft!!!

4. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i have a 8 ft aluminum truck craft tc 120 its buy fare the best 1 i have had it will dump 4 ton with no problemit has the telascopic cylender now i just need to find the tc 130 deicer

5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Mechanically speaking the telescopic ones look like the best way to lift a heavy load. I know I want one but also require it to sit close to the bed. Some are 5-6 in up. I need to climb in and out dozens of times a day. The main stress will probably occur when its lifted and you back up and slam on the brakes to break it free. I thought about the aliuminum frame but havn't heard any issues.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Brought home a barely used 8' aluminum truckcraft yesterday morning! Heading to the shop in a minute to put it in. I'm glad I went this route for sure

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

That's why u want a truckcraft with the front mount cylinder... Most others use sizzor lifts and sit real high in the bed....

8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Sounds good I thought it was either Truckcraft or LilTipster . Like the Cab protector on the Truckcraft.
    What'd you get it for?