1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum Snow Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procut, Feb 17, 2011.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Why has no one thought of this? I know it would be more costly, thats the only reason I can think of but it seems like it would be worth it. I mean half the weight and twice the strength of steel plus it would never rust. Or does someone make one and I've just never seen it?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Twice the strength of steel? :confused:

To bulky and the cost.

3. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

As a welder , and seeing alum trailers come in all the time ,,I would not even try to make one from alum , . I have made 2 from steel and thats way better program

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Crete is right. By the time you made it the plow would have to be like 6 inches thick to be twice as strong as steel. The cost on that would be outrageous.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Aluminum has no typical endurance limit, meaning that the greater number of stress cycles, the lower the stress needs to be after each cycle to induce failure.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

With the right grade of aluminium it could be done and just as strong as steel but the price would be killer. The company i used to wrok for made aluminum shoes for press dies, those would withstand thousands of tons of pressure, in a high speeed press production. But the price isn't favorable. lol Salt and aluminum don't like each other either.

7. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

a 4x8 sheet of aluminum is like $800+ then add in the laber cost to build it, then they have to make a profit to sell to dealers then the dealers need to make profit, by that time u would be looking at alot of money just for a 8 foot straite blade lol

8. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Aluminum cracks. Especially in cold weather.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and you want weight to let the blade bit down threw the snow/crap to do its work. aluminum would float over top a lot more.

oh ya and the salt factor on aluminum. ya like that will last. :dizzy:

10. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Aluminum may not 'rust' but it sure as hell does corrode, especially with salt. Funny thing is it usually looks OK til it is ready to fall apart.

Chad