1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

aluminum receiver stuck in hitch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by First Responder, Mar 15, 2016.

1. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Any ideas how to remove a aluminum hitch out of the receiver? Tried heating it, banging it, and hosed with fluid film. Any suggestions????

2. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Did you try dosing it with cold water after you heated it?? Heat the receiver as much as you think you can and quickly dose with cold water. Sometimes the shock will break it loose. Be careful of the steam cloud, best option is garden hose. Aluminum has a nasty tendency to "grow fast to" steel.

3. First Responder

from 48015

Thank you for the reply! Will give a whirl & see if it will do the trick. I will let you know if it worked! Thanks again!

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I chained the hitch to a tree and put some tension on it. Then beat receiver with a sledge hammer

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Don't heat the hitch you will change the metallurgy and probably weaken it!!! Use a penitrating fluid and like Whiffyspark said beat it with some tension

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Works for me, don't forget to relube prior to reuse.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I gotta say, I have never seen an aluminum reciever. How long has it been in there?

8. First Responder

from 48015

The receiver is not aluminum, the hitch is. It's one of those adjustable hitches, so needless to say it's been in there about 2 yrs. Never really need to take it completely out do to it being able to adjust it to different trailers. We just purchased a 26' w/ 5ft v nose, so need to use one of those extended hitches.

9. Hysert

That's what she said!!! Lmao

10. First Responder

from 48015

I did heat it a little, then banged on it.......nothing! I didn't try the cold water yet. I was a little concerned with heating it too much. I had to walk away form it "adult time out" today. Going to deal with it tomorrow. I will give the tree thing a shot too. I did hose it down with FF, is there a penitrating fluid that works better than others?

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Pull hard, it'll come out easy.

12. Hysert

FF imo isn't a penitrating fluid? I've had good luck using wurth rostoff and pb blaster..

13. First Responder

from 48015

It's the only thing I had on the shelf, what a cluster! Figured I would post here n hear some ideas and suggestions. I will pick some of that up tomorrow.

14. Hysert

Lol.. been there done that!! Chains/trees and a good lube should get ur done!! Oh and don't forget to pound ur.. hahaha..

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Aluminum's thermal expansion is about 2 times of what steel is, aluminum also transfers heat at a mulch greater rate too. So by the time the steel gets hot enough to "grow" the aluminum has sucked heat oot the steel and has grown more than the steel will.

I've found PB Blaster to be a good penetrating oil. I'd suggest hitting the hitch a few times squirt the penetrating oil in the receiver, let it soak for an hour, tie off on the hitch so the line/chain is in line with the receiver tube, put some tension on it then shock it with a hammer. If is comes oot great and if not repeat the process.

16. First Responder

from 48015

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, going to get some pb penitrating tomorrow, home to squirting, tugging, and banging! And that's definitely what she said....lmao!

17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah just don't get pissed off and get in the truck and floor it. Never ends good lol

18. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

If you do, make sure theres a video!!!

19. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

And keep the first aid kit near by.

20. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Aerokroil is the one that helped me with a hitch that I could not get out.
    Come along hooked to hitch and backhoe. Spray, hammer, click, repeat..... took about 30 mins.