1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum Fords........

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

one of my other trucks was totaled so we got a 2015 f150 rental. one of my employees decided to rear end someone in traffic going roughly 25 30 mph. he subaru was quoted for $900.00 to fix at my body shop and the rental was over 4 grand. probly wont buy another ford seeing how the aluminum folds like a deck of cards. never mind the insanely expensive cost to repair. anyone else have an issue like this of wicked expensive repairs? the subaru looks like it got hit with a baseball bat and the rental looks like it hit the side of a brick building....

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My bumpers ensure that the other guy will be worse off than my vehicle, unless it's a redi-mix truck or semi.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Jesus. I know they are meant to absorb the crash impact but wow that's some serious damage on the truck.

4. Broncslefty7

new fascia, both front fenders and bumper.

5. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

To me it doesn't look like that truck hit that car...... just sayin

6. Broncslefty7

police report said it did. thats what i originally said.

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Aluminum / steel .....

Wouldn't they BOTH be expensive to repair ? Seems as though the new steel parts are crazy big money anyway.

Ford is doing some finagling regarding their headlamps now as well. Seems as though no one is able to make them other than ford due to patent infringements of some sorts. Other manufacturers are following along, so, that lexus your wife just bought will cost you $4k to replace a single headlamp due to the HID system in it...

Whoo Hoo ! Big money for a headlamp....:help:

8. Broncslefty7

how ever i will say this, i just bought a new ford connect van and a ford transit van with the diesel engine and the both run very very well with very good mileage.

9. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

Well the only aluminum part on the ford that is damaged is the hood. the grille, and around the headlights are plastic and the bumper is probably steel.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would guess the grill being plastic

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like the passenger side fender is tweaked, hard to tell aboot the driver's side.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ford tough.wesport
    :laughing:

13. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

My brother has a Chevy car that you have to drop the fascia to change the headlights. Owners manual says to return to dealer to replace.....Not! We can do it :mechanic:

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

bauxite, from Africa or South America?

How about good old American steel?

All to save 900lbs off the weight of a truck to gain what, .001 mpg?

15. fireside

fireside Senior Member

That damage is really common. I work in the fire service for 25 plus years. it's amazing how much damage there is now done at very low speed impacts!! on the flip side it's amazing how many people walk away from high speed impacts with no injuries even better how many roll overs that the doors still open!

My uncle owns a body shop you should see the damage done to some cars. The problem is how many cars now are totaled. almost 50 percent are done. I cant wait to the insurance rate double because of it.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm with you. The damage doesn't look to even line up right. Passenger side damage on truck and drivers side on car. Just doesn't look right to me.

17. Broncslefty7

i guess he swerved to the left at the last second. both driver side and passenger side fenders are tweaked. or since its aluminum i should say "warped"

18. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

A few winters ago I was rear ended by a new mini van in my 02 f250. The entire drivers side of the mini vans rear quarter panel caved in like you wouldn't believe and all that happened to my truck was a softball size dent in my bumper.

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Another option is don't hit stuff...

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Well I guess your safer in a Subaru. All kidding aside I have been thinking about a new truck, have been a Ford guy for a while, got four now, but they just don't grab me anymore.