1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum flatbed install

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 02powerstroke, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Here's some pictures of my recent flatbed install project

Its not totally complete I still have to install mud flaps a hitch and switch the lights out to clear LED's

part one taken old stuff off

[​IMG]

all stripped down

[​IMG]

Springs and Axles painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 02powerstroke

Semi finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good! Been thinking about doing that to one of mine, getting cancer pretty bad above the wheel wells and the bed is pretty beat... Do you mind me asking what it set you back?

Also noticed the overload brackets with no overload spring. Why did you remove them? And did you put the airbags back on?

4. 02powerstroke

$2300 and I haven't put the Air bags back in that's why there's no helper cause you remove it for the air bags

5. wizardsr

Really? I've done airbags on a few superduties and they still have overloads. Maybe you used a different brand? I've always used the firestone riderites with good success.

6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

i left the overload on when I installed my airlift bags. No issues yet.

The bed looks real good!

7. 02powerstroke

Truck came threw with them installed that way.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Did you prime it first?

9. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

It looks great, but it makes it look short.

10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

What was wrong with the box?

11. 02powerstroke

Yes on the axles and springs, the frame I used rust converter in the light rusty spots and put the OEM style undercoating on it. and the cross members on the box where REALLY bad and theirs a rot hole in the floor.

[​IMG]

12. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

Wow looks great look even beter when you get those leds on. u gona put a salter on it?

13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

good job man ! looks really good now . BTW does that manufacture make flat beds with stake pockets .

14. 02powerstroke

Naah I just run a plow

This bed has stake pockets on it

15. wizardsr

I haven't priced bed repairs yet, but body repair gets good money. The truck I'm thinking about is a green ext cab short bed, so good luck finding a decent take-off for that... Even once I repaired the rust, I'd still have a beat up box on the inside with a dented tailgate... $2300 looks appealing for a brand new aluminum flatbed with a headache rack...

16. mike psd

from pa

sorry about that , i didn't look close enough lol .can't wait for the clear leds man !!!!

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Great looking flatbed. I think that is a great price. Practicle set up.

18. 02powerstroke

I have them on my 85 they look mean when the trucks off and there extremely bright at night.

[​IMG]

And that price includes lights and a complete wiring harness in Loom that plugs into the factory ford plug and all the lights ZERO splicing plus they give you two spares run to the headache rack for back ups or a small light bar

19. mike psd

from pa

now that sweet , rolling up big rig style ! . maybe touch it off with some tir3 or tir6 be golden :cool:

20. 02powerstroke

O yeah its got a US gear splitter in it so its got 8 spds forward 2 reverse :cool: