1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum Dump Pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crossboneracing, Jan 17, 2010.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Hey guys, quick question for some of you. I am looking to set up an 2010 gmc or chevy 1 ton with an aluminum dump. Just wondering if you guys run them, how you like them, and what you paid. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

2. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

I would never go aluminum if your hauling salt or rock. They dent easy and salt will eat it up faster than regular steel ...
    I would go with stainless steel.
    http://www.smithspreaders.com/

Good luck..
    Scott

3. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Have been using Truck Craft alum bed for three years now....Use a v-hopper for salt..Has held up real well..Gets almost daily use in summer on landscape work..so far so good

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have henderson stainless bed's on (2) of my trucks love them but they are Int'l 4300's

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Go aluminum, but have it painted. I have aluminum tankers and everyone said I was an idiot for painting it. They are 10 years old with lots of road miles and they are still as good as the day i bought them. Plus, aluminum weighs a lot less

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Henderson makes a good body for 1-ton style trucks you might want to check it out some of the local muni's here have them!

7. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

aluminum will still rust and be eatin by salt? hmm i thought it was the same as stainless.

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Aluminum will corrode from the salt (white powdery corrosion), but all you have to is rinse it off well. Salt comes off effortlessly with a decent pressure washer. My trailer (in sig) has hauled a lot of salt since I bought it in 2006, not mention hundreds of thousands of tons of limestone, which eats *everything* and stains like crazy. Corrosion has been a non-issue, but that is because I don't let the salt sit on it for long.

I wouldn't paint it unless you really want to, but to each their own. Aluminum is significantly lighter than stainless and plain steel, but it's not as huge of an issue on the small truck as it is on big stuff like mine (for example, an steel trailer identical to mine weighs in at over 12,000#--or more, where as mine is about 8,000#. Two tons of payload adds up *really* fast when you haul 6 or more loads every day.)

If you do just salt and dirt/material aluminum is a great option. But, if you do concrete/bricks--you will destroy the aluminum. It's just not made for it, and you should go with plain steel. Also, I would highly recommend adding a liner to the floor--it will make your life much easier when dumping.

Good luck!

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I used my truckcraft alum insert for salt last year...... it worked fine other than the salt does not slide on alum very easily......

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My '90 R30 still has its original aluminum dump box. 20 years old guys. Former Regional truck, so you know the workers never took any care at all. Its dented in one spot and has a lot of scratches and gouges but still looks very presentable and works great. I haul salt in it all winter... generally 3.5 yards at a time. Corrosion hasn't been an issue, though I do know how aluminum gets eaten by salt--had brand new aftermarket aluminum wheelwell moldings on the '78.. Even after a spring wash and such by the end of the second winter they already had holes in them. By the end of the third they were literally falling off the truck. Cheap chinese crap I guess.

If you intend to own the truck for at least five years and aren't hauling a lot of rock, concrete, or scrap metal even, the aluminum is well worth it.

11. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

I dont think washing it out will be a problem as we wash and hose everything out after every storm. We haul mostly loam, mulch, leaves, etc. No pavers, rock etc. What are you guys paying or have you paid in the past for a 1 ton sized body. Thinking like a 2/3 yarder?

12. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

My understanding is that there are different qualities of aluminum and as long as you get the right type, it will last like stainless.

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the aluminum you won't regret it.

Copy of Starfleet 008.jpg

14. Westhardt Corp.

15. tilawn

tilawn Member

Who is the maker of that bed on your trucks? Also do you haul rock like 1" or 2" in it at all?
    Thanks

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

www.eloquip.com and no I don't haul rock. The odd load of stonedust or gravel but mostly soil mulch and lawn debris.

17. Westhardt Corp.

For comparison, I've hauled 3" limestone and 4"- gravel with mine, and not a single problem with dents. That's being loaded with 8+ yards at a time. BUT, I do have a 3/8" liner, which helps cushion the blow. The walls are 3/16" and the floor is 1/4" aluminum. They join right behind the marker lights on the side.

Just to give you an idea of what the material can take. I wouldn't stress until you start dealing with pieces large than 6", and even then if it's a skid steer loading you, they won't be so high as to allow the material to accumulate much speed before it hits the bed. Bricks, dirty fill and broken concrete--stay away, and you'll be just fine.

:D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Truckcraft also has a dump body they are making now

19. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We dump 2 yards of 4 inch to 6 inch river rock all the time and have never had an issue.

20. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind river rock is all smooth and round... I would say smaller chunks of "sharp" rubble and such will do more damage than river rock.