1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

aluminum daimond plate ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by groundbreakers, Dec 22, 2006.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i know this doesnt have anything to do with winter .. but i just went to Lowe's .. and bought one of those tool box's for the back of your truck bed ... when i pulled it out of the box ... i noticed there a few spots ( by the seams were its welded at ) are dull from the mirror plate shininess ..... is there a way to get rid of the blemishes .. i guess im a detail freak .. LOL when you buy new ... you expect new finishes .. just thought id ask ..
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

can't think of anything right off. since it's a tool box, it's on a work truck. and if it's anything like our work truck, we use them heavily and after a year or two you won't even notice the blemish due to all of the dings and dents. at least its not on your corvette. hope this makes you feel better.
  3. Ding

Ding Member

Polish with Mother's, or Flitz, or Never-Dull or other quality Aluminum polish. Likely oxidation has caused it to dull.
  4. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Never-dull is great!!!!!
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I used to swear by Flitz and Wenol but for about a year now I've been using a product called "Speedy".It comes in a quart bottle and it's a liquid. Work's like nothing else I've ever used and I've used them all.It's a little hard to find though,the only places I know to buy it are some truck stops and certain big truck "chrome shop's". I can't even find it on the web.
  6. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

if the mothers or never-dull and buffing doesn't work for ya, try some muriatic acid. It is used when the boxes get older and oxidized. You will have to buff it after with mothers, but it will remove the discoloration caused by the alum heating up durring tig welding
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You better figure out if it's clear coated before you try ANY of this!

If you have a clear coated box, any of the above methods will remove the clear coat from the adjacent area (the acid on anything it touches!), so you may get a nice shine temporarily, but now with the clear coat removed the unprotected area will oxidise and you have a BIGGER dull area.....

If it's clear coated leave it alone- you'll only make it worse. If it's NOT clear coated, give it 3 months and it'll all be oxidised the same anyway! Mine has a nice patina all over- the dull spots from the welds are long blended in.