1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by D.todd6, Aug 18, 2009.

1. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I have a 93 F250 with a 351W and stock alternator. I am planning on plowing for the first time this winter. I was wondering if the stock alternator is fine or if I should upgrade it and if so to what. Also I have a full size light bar that draws about 50-60 amps with all the lights on. I probably won't run all the lights on because of this but just wondering what you guys think.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above the page. Search ' Charging" - "alternator upgrade" etc.
    There should be a few hours of reading there. You can buy bolt on replacement alternators that put out big time amps.You have to add a bigger gage wire to the batteries to handle the amps. Or you can have yours upgraded for about a dollar - fifty or so an amp at a rebuild shop. You still have to add a bigger gage wire to handle the amps.