1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternators

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 5, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

after installing several lights and a two strobes, i find excessive dimming when using the plow. I know that there is dimming no matter what, but this is alot. what kind of alternators do you reccommend 150 amps or more?? the truck is a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4. any websites where i can find good prices?

2. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH MINE AND I HAVE TWO STROBES AND TWO AUX BACKUP LIGHTS AND IM STOCK :confused:

3. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

i have only a 105 amp alternator. not saying its really bad, just inconvenience and im thinking about the long run too. doesnt the 8.1 come with a larger alterantor than 105?

4. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

SORRY I THINK YOUR RIGHT :confused: I'LL CHECK TOMMOROW AND RE POST WITH AMP SIZE. SORRY ITS IN MY GARAGE AT THE OFFICE.

5. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

The snow plow prep package (VYU) comes with a 145amp alternator. At least it does in the 03 04 years.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your alternator size doesn't determine if your lights dim or not......your battery reserve capacity does.

Inspect and clean ALL plow and battery + and - connections. Wire brush, emery paper, etc....just get them clean.

Then load test the battery. Single batteries used heavily in a plowing environment sometimes struggle to make it past 2-3 years.