1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tim1075, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Ok the alternator just went on my 1992 F-350 with a 5.8L in it. Can someone tell me how many amps the stock alternator is putting out. Secondly could someone tell me what a good upgrade would be being that i am running a plow and a whole bunch of lights

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I read that in 1992 it had either a 95 or 130 amp stock alternator.

You could upgrade to a 160, or 190, or 220amp depending on how HD you would like it to be.

Jay

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think the stock unit is only 75 amps.There is an optional 100 amp unit.

If you do want to go with a high output unit,get the biggest frame size possible.The bigger frame size will help low speed output,and prevent overheating of the unit.

Ford also had an externally regulated large frame alt that should bolt right up,you will just have to rewire the external regulator.It was available in a 100 and 200 amp size.The 200 amp was used in E350 buses and ambulances.