1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Nov 16, 2009.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys ,don't have a problem yet just trying to collect information now . i have a 2001 2500hd with a 6.0 litre boss sd 7.5 straight blade ,basic power options ,windows,ac ,ect smaller alt .looking for opinions on the better size amp alternator when it is time ,and were to buy .i have o reilly's ,car quest ,auto zone ect .i have heard some about rock auto just some idea's to put in the file ,thanks bill :salute:

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What larryhd said

4. wild bill

thank
    's guy's i am checking them out ,i have a 105amp now thinking about a 130amp they say they charge 75amp at idle 200 at 1200 rpm .i don't suppose that it will cook the battery?under normal driving with out the plow .i like the idea they have of putting their 4 gauge fuse kit for the charging wire upgrade .

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A big alternator will not "cook" your battery. I installed the NAPA 155 amp kit in my truck. Made a big difference. You definitely want the larger charging cables, both positive and ground.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What are you looking to spend Bill?

7. wild bill

trying to keep it no more than $200.00 -$250.00
    payup

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I paid $220 for my 300amp from them (db electric)....figure in a little more for the HD battery cables and such and you'll be right around your $250 and have a kick ass system (so long as the rest of the electrical system is in good order!).

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're buying online DB Electric is tough to beat as their stuff is top notch. But, if you'd rather buy local head over to your local NAPA and pick up p/n 1N4807HO. It's a 100% new 200 AMP high output alternator with a full warranty that will bolt right on your 6.0 with no mods. They're around $250 (and no core needed) and you're getting a full 200 AMPS. They even come with a proof of performance tag in the box and are fully dyno tested. The last one I got actually put out a full 220 AMP at highway RPM's and 120 at idle. More than enough to power most anything. I have about 7 or 8 of them out there now and after a year (including a full plowing season) have nothing to say but good things about them. Very good bang for your buck. :nod:

And yes like MCW mentioned make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff. All the alternator in the wold does little good if the rest of the system can't handle the amperage efficiently.

10. wild bill

thank's for the info i will file it to be used later ,should i up size the power and ground cable if so will 1 gauge cable be enough ?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, increase all cables. 2 gage is good. It;s just the right size for the job but not too bulky. Use at least a 4 gage on the charge wire, bypassing the terminal block and heading right to tthe driver side battery.

12. wild bill

is the 1 gauge cable too small ? i probably am anly going to 130 amp alt no extreme power need's other than plow ,heater ect .

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1 gage is BIGGER than 2 gage.

14. wild bill

just used to the size they used on boss plows ,too big ?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No it's fine, but 2 gage is plenty for battery to engine connections.

16. wild bill

yeah sound's good ,just a brain fart larger the number smaller the cable unless you go 1/0 2/0 get 's real big .

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

2000MCM is pretty beefy stuff. Going to wire my LEDs in my tailgate with it. I don't want them to have any voltage drop.........