1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kemmer, Dec 31, 2008.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Have a 01 silverado crew w/o plow prep. has a 6.0 liter gas engine. I want to upgrade the alternator but i want to find out what size i have now. how do i go about finding out what size i have. What size should i upgrade to? 130amp?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i think it is stamped on the out side of the alternator case .

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a non plow prep equipped truck it'll have the 105 amp alternator. 130 is a good minimum upgrade. But of course more is better.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you can get a build sheet for your VIN from your dealer. I put a NAPA 155 amp on my truck. Big help.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not necessary to even do that to positively identify it as a 105. Simply look on the RPO decal in the glove box. If its a 105 amp you'll see the code "K68".

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

7. I just bought the 250 amp version from DB Electrical. Haven't installed it yet but I'll let you know how it is after install and some plowing. FYI, B&B has used these and recommended it to me in a PM. If you are a serious plower, this is the ONLY way to go. It will put out 120 Amps at idle!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ooooooooh. Let us know how this is. How big is the pulley?

9. The pulley appears to be exactly the same size as the OEM. It was a plug and play swap. I haven't had the plow on yet so I'll have to report back on that when we get some snow. When I started the truck I could really hear the alternator singing so hopefully it was bringing my battery back to life. Stay tuned.

10. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

WOW 250 amp huh? NICE!!!

soooo, does that mean that the alternator is harder to turn and therefore your engine works harder and gets worse gas mileage?

No big deal for full time plowers, but part timers with long commutes in their 5.3L 1500 trucks care a lot about gas mileage :p

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The alternator will only add additional (and negligible anyway) drag when your actually asking it to charge in its higher capacitly...like when your actually drawing hard on the battery with the plow and/or multiple accessories or charging a weak battery. Otherwise it isn't supplying any more current, or adding any additional drag on the engine.

12. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Anything negative about running a 250amp alternator. I wouldn't mind putting one in my 2005 with 6.0 engine.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just the cost. :eek: But well worth it on a plow truck.

Don't forget to upgrade the cables when your running HO alternators. :waving:

14. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Will do. :)

15. bersh

bersh Senior Member

You should upgrade your charging wiring to a larger size to take advantage of the extra juice. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your money. It will still work, but not nearly as efficiently or even close to capacity.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

General rule of thumb on upgrading the cables to meet the requirements of the alternator:

Stock up to 150amp = 4 gage is a great upgrade

150-200 amp = 2 gage

Anything 200 amp or more should have 1/0...or bigger depending on the length.

THIS INCLUDES THE GROUND CABLE BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND THE BATTERY. If you only upgrade the positive cable you'll either have issues with the ground cable getting hot from the increase current capability of the new alternator, or at the very least you'll never get all the charging power out of the alternator it's capable of...which is why you upgraded in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  17. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I started to type my reply, then got sidetracked, then came back and finished it and you beat me to it.

Good info in this second post.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Guilty of that myself bersh. :D

Fixed mine..

19. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Good explanation. OK, thanks. That is one sweat looking alternator! wesport