1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Nov 20, 2006.

1. how big of a alternator do you use to run a plow and i also have like 10 strobe light to right now mine has just like factory 100amp made it last couple years with but kind of sucks.
  2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

If you don't already have a second battery you should probably add one. Supposedly two batteries will supply power three times longer than a single battery, due to the lower current draw.

Also, batteries are kind of like compressed air tanks. The alternator is the air pump refilling them. With more storage you have less of a power drop when you use them. The alternator doesn't work as hard to recharge the two batteries because the voltage has not dropped as much. It will work longer, but not as hard.

Finally, you can upgrade to a larger alternator. Stock should be 105A, but the snow plow prep package included a larger alt. First years were 130A, but I think they are up to 145A now.
    I upgraded my alt to a 145A unit this spring, and it was a bolt in. The only change I had to make was to the serpentine belt-it needed to be longer. All you need to do is ask for a belt for a truck with the plow prep.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Mine came stock with (2) 750 CCA batteries and a 145 amp alternator (Snow plow prep package). I want to run (2) Optima Yellow Tops in the future with a second 145 amp alternator, but I can't exactly afford it right now, nor do I really need it.:D
  4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have a 200A unit in mine with 2 850 amp batteries. 16 strobes, 6 work lights, Backup lights, Snow-X v box and Blizzard 810. I have never had an issue with electricity.
  5. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

Im kinda wanting to see what my truck does with 2 900cca batteries and dual alternators.From my understanding the ford has a 140amp and a 120 amp alt.The 140 is the primary and the 120 is computer controlled.